Author Topic: Johan Florian Adank - Switzerland  (Read 1778 times)

Offline RuhaM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Johan Florian Adank - Switzerland
« on: Monday 20 March 17 04:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello - I am looking for advice on how to best research family links in Switzerland - I am looking for the family history of Johan Florian Adank  - known in New Zealand as Florian.  (1829- 1907)  Born Switzerland - Died New Zealand   Parents - Abraham Adank and Johanna Stecher.  Place of birth varies - his naturalisation certificate (1875) says Malans  - his marriage certificate says something like 'Corie' (very hard to read the handwriting) - death certificate something like 'Berner" - ( I note the city of Bern is some distance away from Malans and am very reluctant to locate his birth in Bern)    We have emigration and immigration records to Australia - one records the entry into England from France of a Johan Florian Adank (correct date of birth)  The record of arrival in Australia seems to indicate he came out on a ship that was from the Netherlands.  We also have baptism record, that someone kindly emailed us,  of a Johan Florian Adank born to the same parents as cited in his marriage and death certificates 1829 in Malans  (the same as his naturalisation record)   We can find NO lines to either of his parents - or siblings - it could be thta his siblings also emigrated - possibly to the USA
Borthwick - Central Otago, York, Durham, Midlothian
Moss - Rothwell and Hunslet - Leeds
Green - Queenstown, Gore, Wooton - Oxforshire
Noble - Warepa (Otago) - Nairnshire Scotland
Poole - Charleston (NZ) and Cumberland or Liverpool
Perry - Charleston Buller, Cumberland and Staffordshire
Anderson - Charlseton, Westport - and Shetland Islands

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Johan Florian Adank - Switzerland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 March 17 08:30 GMT (UK) »
www.geneanet.org has Stecher family in BERNECK ,Appenzell,Switzerland
I wonder if the death certificate record is Berneck ??
if it looks a possible  check how far Berneck is from Malans ?
ADDED  MapQuest Switzerland states it is a 45 minute drive ....so around 40-45 miles apart - maybe research Adank / Stecher in Berneck if only to rule that family out if need be

have a look through these
http://en.geneanet.org/fonds/individus/?size=10&sourcename=&nom=stecher&ignore_each_patronyme=&prenom=&prenom_operateur=or&ignore_each_prenom=&place__0__=&zonegeo__0__=Switzerland&country__0__=CHE&region__0__=&subregion__0__=&place__1__=&zonegeo__1__=&country__1__=&region__1__=&subregion__1__=&place__2__=&zonegeo__2__=&country__2__=&region__2__=&subregion__2__=&place__3__=&zonegeo__3__=&country__3__=&region__3__=&subregion__3__=&place__4__=&zonegeo__4__=&country__4__=&region__4__=&subregion__4__=&from=&to=&exact_month=&exact_day=&exact_year=&go=1
there are No Results for Adank in Switzerland on Geneanet - the vast majority are from The Netherlands .
( I notice you have Poole family in Liverpool - I live in Liverpool and grew up with a family of Poole - the next road to mine in the 1950's / 60's)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline RuhaM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 March 17 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your prompt response - we have in the past considered a link with the Netherlands.  The search from the link you provided wasn't particularly extensive as I don't have a subscription - is this the best site for searching European connections do you think.  Also - two links came up for Sprecher search - one was too recent and the other in German - in which I am not particularly competent.  I did get the gist of it though - something about moving to the Netherlands in 1655.  Well - our Florian would have been in Australia by then - but this line of inquiry is far form ruled out.  Thank you.  Any further hints would be most appreciated.  Our Poole ancestor  (my great grandfather was born in Carlisle - however we note his family and that of his future wife's family all seem to have some links with Liverpool.  I wonder ofthtere is a connection with us Kiwis and your childhood neighbours.

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 March 17 11:44 GMT (UK) »
From Dictionnaire historique et bibliographique de la Suisse (1921):

ADANK - Family originally from Maienfeld (canton Graubünden), now extinct there, as well as Chur and Tschappina.  Branches of the family also have citizenship in Fläsch, Schiers, Luzein, Zizers and Zürich.

STECHER - Separate families originating from Seewis (canton Bern), Tarasp and Fuldera (canton Graubünden).  A branch in Sarn had political influence in the 17th and 18th centuries.

The online version of the Swiss telephone directory has 233 entries for Adank and 207 for Stecher - neither surname is very common.
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 March 17 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Stecher and Sprecher are two different family names which have nothing to do with each other.
I think the Sprecher von Bernegg family had soldiers/officers in regiments in the Netherlands.

We also have baptism record, that someone kindly emailed us, of a Johan Florian Adank born to the same parents as cited in his marriage and death certificates 1829 in Malans (the same as his naturalisation record)

Do you have a copy of the original baptism record of Malans? Which details are written on this record about the parents? Is there mentionned their place of origin or only the place where they lived? Is there mentionned the occupation of his father Abraham Adank?

If you are searching your ancestors in the Canton Graubünden you should look here.

https://www.gr.ch/DE/institutionen/verwaltung/ekud/afk/sag/dienstleistungen/bestaende/familienforschung/Seiten/default.aspx

There is also an English Version, but without the immigration and naturalisation index.

https://www.gr.ch/EN/institutions/administration/ekud/afk/sag/services/collections/familienforschung/Seiten/default.aspx

Regards

Svenja
Switzerland + USA: Iten, Letter, Besmer, Mathis, Meier, Schwager, Eisenring
Germany/Bavaria: Beinberger, Painberger, Schleich, Pfeiffer, Weber, Schelle
Germany/Bavaria: Boeck, Rauch, Pracht, Sporer, Schorer, Mahler, Grotz
Germany/Franken: Weidner, Reuss, Beifuss, Trenkert, Drenkert, Drenkart
Germany/Jewish: Bachmann, Bamberger, Straus(s), Kraus(s), Lehmann, Gutmann
I can read and write German, English and French.
I can translate from Italian and Latin to the above languages.

Offline RuhaM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for your prompt responses.  My apologies for that spelling/typing/ comprehension error -   

No unfortunately I don't have a copy of the parish register - I have only an email from someone who kindly searched this out for me some years ago now. 

My problem is that whilst being competent in my New Zealand  tongues of English and te Reo Maori - I am less than competent at German - I did study it for 2 years whilst at high school - and then did use it in the late 70's when I was in Germany unfortunately that was many years ago now and I find myself somewhat lacking the competence to fully understand what I am reading.  The English version of the webpage is helpful however all leads seem to lead to German. 

It is somewhat positive however in that both names seem relatively rare in the current phone directories.  -   

I am not sure how to continue - this research had been put on hold for the reasons above (amongst others) for some years now - I am thinking that perhaps I should/could engage some professional genealogist who does understand the language and also has better  access to the information than I have sitting half a world away geographically.  What are your thoughts??   If so - does anyone have any advice where or how I would find such a service?? (hopefully it would be reasonably  priced - otherwise that is also a non starter.

Cheers  Deni

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deni

I'm a german speaking Swiss, but I'm living in Central Switzerland and this is to far away to go to the State Archive of Graubünden. But I can have a closer look at what they have put online. I saw the name Adank in their immigration/naturalisation index, but i think this is not your branch. Or maybe its possible to write to them and they search for the baptism entry and other records. Or you can ask in the Swiss Geneal-Forum, maybe there is someone who can go to the State Archive of Graubünden. There is a discussion about another Abraham Adank from Fläsch (Graubünden) who lived in the Canton Glarus and emigrated to Russia.

https://www.geneal-forum.com/phpbb/phpBB3/

Regards

Svenja
Switzerland + USA: Iten, Letter, Besmer, Mathis, Meier, Schwager, Eisenring
Germany/Bavaria: Beinberger, Painberger, Schleich, Pfeiffer, Weber, Schelle
Germany/Bavaria: Boeck, Rauch, Pracht, Sporer, Schorer, Mahler, Grotz
Germany/Franken: Weidner, Reuss, Beifuss, Trenkert, Drenkert, Drenkart
Germany/Jewish: Bachmann, Bamberger, Straus(s), Kraus(s), Lehmann, Gutmann
I can read and write German, English and French.
I can translate from Italian and Latin to the above languages.

Offline RuhaM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much - again.  I have sent an email off to the State Archive of Graubünden - they may take pity on me and take a look - fingers crossed.

I have also looked at the forum page you suggested - all the posts are written in German - would it be OK for me to post in English do you think? 

I saw that other Abraham Adank and the dates don't match at all well  - however he could be brother or cousin  perhaps.  There is also a George Adank from the same area as Florian who emigrated to the USA - and we initially thought could be a brother - but after having made contact with living descendants of George in the USA it would seem not - a cousin nephew perhaps.

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 March 17 08:13 GMT (UK) »
You can post in English and the Mod will translate.  Take a look at the post near the top (with a Union Flag) in the Bern section for an example. You will need to join first, and the instructions are in English.