Author Topic: Poppy of Honour 2018  (Read 2353 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Poppy of Honour 2018
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 March 17 20:58 GMT (UK) »
It sounds interesting, does the site imply that this large box will be moved around the country as it states it only take 4 people to assemble it?  I hope it's genuine, I don't like it when not enough info is given and, also, having to donate through JustGiving means that they take a percentage of all donations.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 March 17 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Being a natural born cynic I have emailed the MP who has allegedly endorsed this. 

The lack of information is extremely worrying and I suspect it is a scam.
GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham. MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. JACKSON: East Yorks, North Yorks, Durham. TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Russian" John
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 March 17 21:20 GMT (UK) »
I am still waiting to hear back; I had emailed about writing the poppies. My daughter had the link in a school email suggesting that the students helped with the poppy writing.

If this proves to be a scam I will ask for this thread to be removed.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Nanna52

• RootsChat Senior
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 March 17 22:24 GMT (UK) »
No, don't remove this thread if it is a scam.  Like most scams it could keep coming back.  Keep the warning alive.
I hope it is not a scam as it sounds great.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 March 17 22:40 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure that it's a scam. Wouldn't it have been picked up by now by the media if it was, as it is quite easy to find by googling?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 March 17 23:01 GMT (UK) »
From the just giving page
"Inside the poppy  will be. 1,115,471 individual poppies...........you will be able to see all of the poppies with all of the names "

You don't need a degree in maths to realise this is clearly a physical impossibility.

Maybe not a scam but an illconceived idea

Mike

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 10:54 GMT (UK) »
I've had a reply from the MP & I'm pleased to say I was wrong, but since the site is asking for donations I'm still pleased I checked:

Thanks for your message the site is in fact genuine and was set up as an idea by ex-Rifleman Terry Williams, who previously spent 19 days inside a shipping container to raise funds for service-people.  Heres the BBC on that story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-29359505

Im not in any way associated with it, but hope the poppy venture is a success it seems a terrific idea.

Thanks again, and my best wishes,

David Warburton MP
Member of Parliament for Somerton and Frome
GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham. MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. JACKSON: East Yorks, North Yorks, Durham. TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Russian" John
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 11:05 GMT (UK) »

Thank you Jomot; good to get such a prompt response from the MP.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 11:21 GMT (UK) »
He, or one of his staff, replied at 3:16 am... and I thought I was a night owl !!