Author Topic: Poppy of Honour 2018  (Read 5612 times)

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: Poppy of Honour 2018
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 23 March 17 17:41 GMT (UK) »
The home page of this website has now been altered to confirm that RBL is not involved, and their logo has been removed - see https://www.poppyofhonour2018.org.uk/

The perfectly legitimate company whose logo also used to be featured says nothing about poppies on its own website.  They do however describe other charity fundraising activities on their 'news' page.

I feel that if this project was worth doing, RBL would have done it.  If I still lived in England I would want to donate directly to RBL rather than a self-appointed go-between.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 23 March 17 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the update Carol.  The 'donate' button has also gone.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 23 March 17 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks from me too Carol.  I've heard nothing back about writing the poppies.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ceririckard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 15 May 17 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hey I'm Terry's daughter we are doing this for no gain so we are not a scam, we get no money at all for this, we are in the early stages and being only a team of around 5 people hardly makes it hard to keep everything up to date etc. We have sent 1000's of poppy's out and received back we are currently looking for a worthy charity as the RBL decided it's not something for them no reason has been given as of yet.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 15 May 17 18:03 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon,

As a British Legion member I am sorry to hear that the RBL are not interested. On the one hand I agree with you and would say find another charity, preferably military, and donate it to them.

However if you really wanted it to go to the RBL then I would say, when you have all the money in, go to your local RBL branch and donate it to the poppy appeal through them. They will not turn it down, to them it's money in the can so to speak. Branches are always trying to out do others by collecting more or beating there own previous best.

If you have any problems doing that let me know, you can always send me a cheque and I would process it through our local poppy appeal which I help organise.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Ceririckard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 15 May 17 23:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks John, also like to point out that all servicemen/women are Included in the poppy of honour (land/sea/air etc) we even have purple poppies for the animals lost.

We have a new site now that's just been finished needs tweaking with mobile use but it contains more info and better explanations of what this is all about, the original site was a temporary one just to get the idea out there of what we are try to achieve. This is all for the fallen of WW1 and we just want help to make it happen donations are nice but the monument is what's important to us.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 00:03 BST (UK) »
Sounds like a nice idea, but possibly one big poppy too many? (2014 poppies Tower of London). If it is over done it loses it's impact I think.  :-\

Added: I know this thread is a couple of months old. :)

Offline Ceririckard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 03:07 BST (UK) »
Tower of London was amazing, we just wanted to do something that involved the public alot, something where people can say I was a huge part of it. 

We have had amazing support far more than we expected so I believe for us the impact has surpassed our expectations  already. We have received requests from all over the world for poppies packs. I think there's room for another big poppy   :)