Author Topic: Lost ship  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lost ship
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 March 17 18:11 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't find a newspaper report or even a mention of the ship

For newspaper reports on ships: if you know the ship name and the master's name just combine the two in your search as one is usually printed after the other. So in this case I just searched for "Alice Eyre".

Thanks for the tip Shaun....I will remember that  8)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline joan

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 March 17 16:33 GMT (UK) »
It just has to be me!!! in spite of trying to put the name of the ship andfollowing it with the name of the Master I still cannot find a report on the Alice.  Also I am unable to fine William Eyre in the 1871 census when I know he was in Goole as he married there in1871.

Has Rootschat thought about giving lessons on searching for information, so many members seem to find information at the drop of a hat whereas I and I know of a couple of other users of Rootschat seem to find it difficult. ???  Joan

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 March 17 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joan,

If you are searching in the FindMyPast newspapers putting Alice Eyre as a name  into the "Who" boxes should get you there.

If you are searching via the BNA search engine use the Advanced Search and put Alice Eyre in to the "All of these words" box.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline joan

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 March 17 15:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shaun I really appreciate your help, I will try your suggestions, once again many thanks, Joan