Author Topic: Census records - please help me find Richard and Daniel Baines  (Read 4812 times)

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Census records - please help me find Richard and Daniel Baines
« on: Monday 20 March 17 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Daniel Baines was born in Bootle/Liverpool in 1891.    In 1906 he was living in Southampton and the passenger manifest for the Philadelphia shows he was aged 15 and sailed from Southampton, arriving NY on 22 December 1906, aged 15.    Grateful for any record of what happened to Daniel

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Census records - please help me find Richard and Daniel Baines
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 March 17 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Do you have a question as there is no indication of what you are looking for in the above post.

JJ

Added - I see you have altered your post  :)

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 March 17 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Is there something you want us to look for?  :)

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 March 17 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, hit the send button before I finished the posting.   Would appreciate any record of Daniel after he arrived in NY.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 March 17 17:41 GMT (UK) »
It says that he was going to join his father Richard Baines, 143 Greene St., Brooklyn, NY.  Do you know anything about what happened to his father?

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for responding, sadly the only information I have is in my initial posting, Daniel arriving in NY in 1906.   I was hoping he might be found in a census return or other family record.       

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 16:08 GMT (UK) »
If we can find more about his father, that might give us clues for where Daniel was. 

I didn't see any likely matches in census records for Daniel, but they're available at www.familysearch.org if you want to check.  You can also see the passenger list there.

There is a Daniel Baines who died in WWI - https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=56239120  Have you ruled him out?

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 May 17 17:06 BST (UK) »
shelleyesq mentioned information about Daniel's father.    Information I have suggests Daniel's father was Richard Baines born c.1855 in Ireland.   Not much to go on, but it's all I have.

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 17:21 BST (UK) »
I've had a previous attempt to find Richard and Daniel but hope with the following information someone might be able to help me.

Richard Baines was born c.1855 in Ireland.  The 1891 census records him as a marine fireman,  living in Bootle (Liverpool) with wife, Sarah, born c.1856 in Liverpool, together with  several children.   The 1901 census records Daniel Baines born c.1891 in Bootle living in Southampton with three other siblings. 

Richard is not recorded in the 1901 census, his wife, Sarah, died in 1900 and family notes say (but without a date) Richard 'left Southampton to live in America'.  I cannot find Richard on Ellis Island records.  Richard was a seaman, perhaps he arrived in New York by other means.   Ellis Island records show Daniel Baines, age 15, arrived on board Philadelphia on 22 December 1906 - to join his father, Richard Baines, living at 97 Hall Street, Brooklyn.

I wonder if anyone has access to census/residential records that might help me to trace what happened  to Richard and Daniel?