Author Topic: Census records - please help me find Richard and Daniel Baines  (Read 4804 times)

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Census records - please help me find Richard and Daniel Baines
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 01 June 17 11:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sandra, for the many helpful replies.   John Curran Baines entering New York was was unknown but I believe the reference to Lawrence Baines is wrong.   

Family search.org records the birth of (1) Lawrence Baines b.1881, Liverpool, father John, mother Mary and (2) Lawrence Baines b.1881, Lancashire (Bootle) father Richard, mother Sarah.    My Baines research refers to (2) and I think your note probably refers to (1).   Lawrence No 2 died at sea in 1917, torpedoed by the enemy.

Which Richard Baines died on the Titanic has been a puzzle for a long time.  Richard, born 1855 also had a son, Richard, born 1883.   A Richard Baines went down with the Titanic, his body was not  recovered and no death certificate was issued.    Titanic records showing Richard's age are inconclusive, the age recorded does not match either father or son.   We know Daniel Baines went to America in 1906 and the passenger manifest says he was joining his father, perhaps this suggests it was Richard junior, born 1883, who drowned at sea in 1912.

Your replies have been helpful, many thanks.    What happened to Daniel Baines and his father, post 1906 still remains a mystery.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 01 June 17 12:08 BST (UK) »
There doesn't see any likely matches in USA census records for Daniel but if you have an exact date of birth for Daniel Baines that might help us check that against the SSDI records.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 01 June 17 19:01 BST (UK) »
...Ellis Island records show Daniel Baines, age 15, arrived on board Philadelphia on 22 December 1906 - to join his father, Richard Baines, living at 97 Hall Street, Brooklyn...

Not that it matters yet (I've not yet found any reference) but I believe Richard's father lived at 143 Greene? St, Green St?, Brooklyn, NY   [Note:  the image I saw was on a pay site - not sure why Greene/Green was written twice.  The writing is neat, but I find it a bit difficult to read - perhaps that isn't what was written.]   :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 01 June 17 19:06 BST (UK) »
...Ellis Island records show Daniel Baines, age 15, arrived on board Philadelphia on 22 December 1906 - to join his father, Richard Baines, living at 97 Hall Street, Brooklyn...

Not that it matters yet (I've not yet found any reference) but I believe Richard's father lived at 143 Greene? St, Green St?, Brooklyn, NY   [Note:  the image I saw was on a pay site - not sure why Greene/Green was written twice.  The writing is neat, but I find it a bit difficult to read - perhaps that isn't what was written.]   :-\

Hi Lisa,

That sounds right Lisa and tallies with Shelly's reply on the previous thread - reply 4

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=767843.0

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 01 June 17 19:43 BST (UK) »
Ellis Island records are free to access.   It looks as though two address  lines have been transposed and against Daniel Baines it records the Greene Street address, also that he was joining his brother William King.  Wm King was not his brother.   On the line above it records Daniel was joining his father, Ric

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 01 June 17 19:46 BST (UK) »
joining his father, Richard Baines - hence the Hall St address.

Sorry for the half-message - pressed the wrong key !

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 01 June 17 19:47 BST (UK) »
That's normally how passenger lists are shown - William King info relates to the passenger below and had nothing to do with Daniel Baines.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 01 June 17 20:24 BST (UK) »
This might be worth investigation - the birth year 1891 agrees with Daniel Baines you are looking for - there were no other births in that year. Discounted Daniel Barnes 1893 Preston passed away 1934 - 8e 574

UK, WWII Civil Defence Gallantry Awards, 1940-1949 - Daniel Baines - 1891 - residence year 1941 Hull - 5 Aug 1941 - Civilian - Dock Labourer - 68 Nornabell Street Hull - rescue work at Hull 9 May 1941 - early morning - recommended by Hull Controller -
No2 (N.Eastern) Regional Commissioner recommends - commendation 23/6/1941

Sandra

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 02 June 17 05:36 BST (UK) »
Following up on Sandra finding a Daniel in England, could this be Daniel in 1911?  (Am I correct in believing that Bootle and Everton are just a few miles apart?)

Update:  I removed the original text placed here to make sure I didn't have any copyright issues.   ;)
In summary, a Daniel Baines was residing in Firmley, Surrey in 1911.  He was age 19.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)