Author Topic: Census records - please help me find Richard and Daniel Baines  (Read 4806 times)

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Census records - please help me find Richard and Daniel Baines
« Reply #27 on: Friday 02 June 17 10:45 BST (UK) »
Thought I should share with everyone what I found last night.   Where possible  I like to illustrate family history with a picture - perhaps the church where parents/grandparents married or the Victorian street where they once lived etc.

1891 census shows the Baines family living at 75 Olivia Street Liverpool  so I googled the address more in hope than expectation.   There in the middle of current house sales was the headline 'Richard Baines - Titanic Victim - Encyclopedia Titanica'. (www,encyclopediatitanica.org).   If you want to read the content its quicker to use the address on google rather that search the website.

The content offers the answers to so many questions, not least that it was Baines snr who went down with the Titanic.    It also draws together and fills in many blanks in my research of this family.

I'm still puzzled about Daniel Baines joining his father Richard in 1906 in New York but the content of the latest find offers a more formal appraisal of the family.   It also helps to understand why Richard and son Daniel could not be found in USA records post 1906.

The extract on Daniel looks promising but I'm hesitant to claim it as 'my' Daniel without being able to bridge the intervening years.

A big thanks to everyone for the help and information you have given me.    I still cannot believe my luck at finding that article last night.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 02 June 17 10:57 BST (UK) »
Great article - great to solve the mystery of which Richard Baines.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 03 June 17 03:48 BST (UK) »
It was very interesting reading about Mr. Baines, quite sad as well. :'(

The age is out, but I thought I would mention it anyway...
Hildebrand crew list
D C Baines, age 26 (born c1887) Liverpool
Home address:  18 Rundle Road?
Event date:  1913
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 03 June 17 15:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your continued interest Lisa.  Only yesterday I discovered the full name - Daniel Curran (mother's maiden name) Baines so, age apart, the crew record of D C Baines is welcomed.    Yes, the Titanic story like all others was sad, however the article revealed so many unknowns.   

This family is full of surprises.   Daughter, Mary Baines c.1887 married age 17 in Southampton to Alexander MacIntosh.  In 1906 she is a passenger on the Philadelphia to New York to join her husband, In 1907 daughter Euphemia is born in America, in 1909 back in Southampton son William is born.  1911 census Alexander MacIntosh is missing - he was a seaman which probably explains his absence.   Mary had two more children, Alexander 1912 and Herbert 1914.   Without a marriage certificate nothing is known about Mary's  husband Alexander but the line has to be drawn somewhere and i will leave it at that.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 03 June 17 16:47 BST (UK) »
Euphemia McIntosh may have married Norman A Clift - September 1928.  Sadly there is a death record for Euphemia Clift - March 1931 - Isle Of Wight - 2b 1027  ::) There was a birth of a daughter to the couple registered March 1930 - 2b 828.

William Alexander Mcintosh passed away June 1982 Southampton - 20 - 1253

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 04 June 17 14:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your latest Sandra but could I trouble you once more !

In an earlier thread there is mention of John Curran Baines arriving with spouse Hannah in New York.  Hannah born 10 July 1887 in Liverpool.      I'm having trouble finding a record of this marriage and need a fresh pair of eyes  - can you help, please?

Offline ScarrottK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi not sure who is asking what, never used this site but have known about it for many years.

Richard Baines senior was the Titanic victim, Richard junior died in Southampton in 1944.
John (Jack) Curran Baines and Daniel as stated appear to have disappeared; there are stories about that, Mary Left Macintosh and married Walker, Lawrence was killed during WW1 his ship was sunk.
There mother Sarah wife if Richard (Titanic) died 1900 buried at St Mary's Extra Cemetery Southampton, also a war memorial there with Lawrence mentioned. The Curran's in Liverpool kept in touch with the Baines in Southampton. My wife's grandmother was Mary Baines.

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 29 June 17 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi ScarrottK, welcome to RootChat which I trust you will find very helpful if you're researching  family history.  I  have the following notes on Mary Baines which might be of interest
1904 - Mary Baines married Alexander Macintosh
1907 - Daughter, Euphemia born in America
1909 - Son, William Alexander, born in Southampton
1911 - Census shows Euphemia and two children living 9 Union Place, Southampton.  No husband -          perhaps at sea?
1928 - Euphemia married Norman Clift in Southampton
1930 - Daughter, Pamela, born in Southampton
1931 - Euphemia Clift died in IOW age 24
1982 - Mary's son, William Alexander, died in Southampton

You say Mary left Macintosh and married  Walker but i don't have that record, or when Mary died.

Good luck with your research

Offline ScarrottK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 01 July 17 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerry

What is your connection to the Baines family?

William (Bill) Alexander Macintosh I have met (only once before he died in 1982). I know quite a bit about the Baines and Curran families. Mary Baines first husband (Macintosh) appears to have disappeared, I am under the impression she left him in the states she remarried Walker in 1914.
Euphemia (Effie) Macintosh husband Norman Clift's 2nd wife Phyllis later married William (Bill) Alexander Macintosh. Alexander Macintosh born 1912 was killed in an accident in Southampton Docks in 1956. I also knew Lawrence (Larry) Baines daughter Musie.

If you live in the Southampton area perhaps after the summer we could meet?
Regards