Author Topic: Ontario death certs  (Read 2637 times)

Offline EdCan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ontario death certs
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. Much appreciated
Pickering E Yorkshire, Ontario Can
Tindall Greater London
Edmonds Greater London
Bayliss Greater London
Chappell Somerset
Spencer Warwickshire
Tuck Wiltshire
Tanner Wiltshire

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 March 17 03:45 GMT (UK) »
...A number of public trees show her as dying 22 Nov 1922 but according to info that I was given Eliza was buried 1 Jan 1922 which seems to be a strange day for a burial. Don't know what to think about that.

The burial was in 1923, correct?

The weather may have been too "inclement" for burials in November and part/all of December - they may have had to postpone burials until the weather cleared a bit and possibly waited a few days to be "after the holidays".

There could have been a strike that affected cemetery workers (I have heard of that happening in recent memory in California).  All burials were halted until the strikes were over.

I know of a burial for cremated remains (the urn was placed in the family plot) that took one month to occur apparently because the church could not be booked.   :'(

PS  Could there have been an inquiry regarding her death, which could have delayed her burial?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 March 17 04:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello EdCan,

Lisa has a good point there about the weather. It still happens. My own mother died in early February. That cemetery will not open a grave in the wintertime. I offered to pay double. I offered to pay treble the cost. No dice. "Go into the vault until spring like everybody else. We'll let you know when she can be buried." And that was just 10 years ago.

Now, to be fair, it's a small municipality and the cemetery grounds staff are employed on the salters, sanders and snowploughs in wintertime. But it was a very, very queer feeling to have a funeral service that wasn't immediately followed by a burial. All that emotion was just left hanging for three months.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 March 17 11:17 GMT (UK) »
The death registration for Eliza that was posted by eileenwilson says she died 29 Oct 1922 and was buried 1 Nov 1922 so some of the information you had been given was wrong.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline EdCan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 March 17 14:21 GMT (UK) »
I had my contact recheck the burial record and he confirms that the burial date recorded is 1 Jan 1922. Obviously this can not be correct since eileen found the death cert date of 29 Oct 1922. Should have been able to bury her at that time of the year.
Tindall Greater London
Edmonds Greater London
Bayliss Greater London
Chappell Somerset
Spencer Warwickshire
Tuck Wiltshire
Tanner Wiltshire

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 March 17 20:18 GMT (UK) »
I had my contact recheck the burial record and he confirms that the burial date recorded is 1 Jan 1922. Obviously this can not be correct since eileen found the death cert date of 29 Oct 1922. Should have been able to bury her at that time of the year.

Was the burial record from a computerized entry? Some systems will enter Jan 1 as a default if the date wasn't on the original entry.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline EdCan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 March 17 22:26 GMT (UK) »
I suspect that you may be correct and that the records are computerized. My contact said that they had a number of burial dates shown as Dec 31 or Jan 1 followed by year. My contact is in the Chatham Kent municipal office and I expect that the original is in Blenheim
Tindall Greater London
Edmonds Greater London
Bayliss Greater London
Chappell Somerset
Spencer Warwickshire
Tuck Wiltshire
Tanner Wiltshire

Offline EdCan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 18 May 17 17:56 BST (UK) »
To continue my frustration with Ontario death records. I have recently tried to look up 14 death registrations for period 1938-1942. I only managed to find 7 registrations. I can see that there may be the odd late registration but this number seems ridiculous. Not holding out much hope for 1943/44.
Tindall Greater London
Edmonds Greater London
Bayliss Greater London
Chappell Somerset
Spencer Warwickshire
Tuck Wiltshire
Tanner Wiltshire

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 18 May 17 18:03 BST (UK) »
A link to the Ontario Archives which shows what's available through them and what's online:

http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/en/tracing/the_records.aspx

You will see that 39-42 are not online anywhere ... only available through Archives on microfilm.  For some reason, they have put the 43-44 online at Ancestry.