Author Topic: Mary Kitchen nee Hodgson born 1821 Bentham  (Read 670 times)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Kitchen nee Hodgson born 1821 Bentham
« on: Monday 20 March 17 18:17 GMT (UK) »
I have lost track of this lady (my 3 x G Grandmother) after 1881
In 1881 she is Mary Kitchen, widowed, aged 58, living at Clarrick Terrace Ingleton
After this I can find no trace of her. Burial and death records which fit all seem to be after 1891, and I cannot find her in that census. I have checked out her surviving children and she's not with them.
There is a possibility she remarried, a Mary Kitchen married in 1883 registered at Settle, can't find either couple in 1891
I would love to find out what happened to her. Any leads greatly appreciated
Christine :)
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Hodgson 1821 Bentham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 March 17 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Your Subject header is confusing as you are looking for Mary Kitchen - presumably Hodgson was her maiden name
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 March 17 18:26 GMT (UK) »
If she is the 1883 marriage she married either Townley or Hancock.

There is an 1890 death for Mary Hancock aged 69 in Settle - have you already discounted it?
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 March 17 19:38 GMT (UK) »
CaroleW, thanks for the replies. You are quite correct, my title is confusing I will edit it now!
Gosh I hadn't found that death, it could well be her, sadly only purchasing a certificate would confirm
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Kitchen nee Hodgson born 1821 Bentham
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 March 17 22:33 GMT (UK) »
I had a look at the 1881 and there is only one entry for a Mary Hancock born 1820-1821 and she was living in the Wharefdale RD and was Mary A

Your Mary was living in the Settle RD in 1881.  The 1883 marriage was Settle as was the 1890 death.

Personally - I  would be more inclined to go for the 1883 marriage cert to prove it was definitely her marriage

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Kitchen nee Hodgson born 1821 Bentham
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 March 17 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hhm, in 1881 a John Hancock is living on the terrace of houses next door to hers, he is a widower of the same age :)
My gut tells me it's her, I will send for the cert to be sure. I hope she found happiness, she'd had a tough life for the last forty years.