Author Topic: Sarah DIGGLE d. 1817 Basford  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah DIGGLE d. 1817 Basford
« on: Monday 20 March 17 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Please does anyone have access to the records of St Leodegarius in Basford? I am looking for a precise date of death or burial for Sarah DIGGLE who died in April 1817, and think the above church is the most likely.
Regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah DIGGLE d. 1817 Basford
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 March 17 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Where did you get her death details from?  How old would she have been when she died?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 07:41 GMT (UK) »
She was the mother of Daniel Diggle, executed in front of the County Gaol for shooting at someone during a Luddite raid, and the Gentleman's Magazine reported that she died 'of excessive grief'. A Nottingham newspaper (sorry, don't know which one) also reported this but the dates differ by about a week, so I thought a PR entry might help to clarify.

Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 14:24 GMT (UK) »
 Sarah Diggle  was buried at  St Leodegarius  Basford 24 June 1827 aged 65yrs not 1817.

NG1
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Nottsgirl1.

So was the account of her death journalistic sensationalism? Or did she die unrecorded in 1817? Is it another Sarah Diggle who was buried in 1827? I assume by 1827 the church was using the pre-printed type of burial book that didn't give space for abode, relationships etc? An online source (unreliable, as it gives her date of death as 1841) gives her maiden name as Rhodes and a birth date of 1765, which would make her 62 in 1827, but a three-year discrepancy isn't unusual.

The 1827 date raises yet more questions!
regards,
Lesley
Webster- Northowram

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lesley,

First as for the account of her death in 1817 I cannot say as I've not seen the newspaper report, and if she did die in 1817 there would be a burial record for her, so  I do think that the 1827 burial is the right one, as you say ages can be wrong on burial records( I have some that are out by quite a few years). The only Sarah Rhodes I can find that might be her was christened on 6 May 1764 at Calverton Church daughter of Thomas and Martha Rhodes.
Yes burial records were in the pre-printed books  from abt 1811. 

As for the online source of death in 1841 is wrong I think they mixed her up with her husband Johnson Diggle who was buried 14 Sept 1841 at Basford. Johnson is on the 1841 census with his son John Diggle and his family.

Next marriage of Johnson Diggle and Sarah Rhodes was on 18 Aug 1783 at St Mary's Church Nottingham , Daniel was Christened on 24 March 1793 at Basford.

Hope this all helps.

NG1

P.S did you know that there was (and maybe still is) a Beer named after Daniel Diggle.
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, Nottsgirl1.

With a birth date of 1764, she would have been 63, so 65 at death is a pretty close estimate. Her husband, Johnson, gave his age as 80 in 1841 when he would have been about 76 in reality. Age was a bit irrelevant when no-one was going to give you a pension at 65!

I agree, the 1827 burial is the correct one so sensationalist journalism is nothing new (but I expected better things from the Gentleman's Magazine.)

Yes, I had seen that Daniel Diggle had had a beer named in his honour.
Regards,
Lesley
Webster- Northowram

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Just to add my pennyworth :D
Baptism St Leodegarius
24 Mar 1797 Daniel son of Wm Johnson Diggle and Ann
No burial listed for Daniel.

"Her husband, Johnson, gave his age as 80 in 1841" age rounded up in the 1841 census so this would be normal practice.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/riots-revenge-assassination/story-24164284-detail/story.html

http://www.nottsheritagegateway.org.uk/people/luddites.htm

http://ludditebicentenary.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/18th-march-1817-trial-of-luddite-daniel.html
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 March 17 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for taking the trouble to reply, Larkspur.
Webster- Northowram