Author Topic: Original or Registered Copy  (Read 432 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Original or Registered Copy
« on: Monday 20 March 17 22:57 GMT (UK) »
When looking at Wills does anyone think it is better to look at 'original wills' or 'registered wills'? I've been looking at some Kent Wills and in some cases both versions are available at the London Family History Centre in London. Is it worth looking at one version rather than the other or does it not matter really. Can I gain anything by looking at the 'original' rather the 'registered' copy?

Matt

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Original or Registered Copy
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 March 17 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Ideally, look at both. The original will have the actual signatures of the testator and the witnesses, and may contain some details not in the registered copy. But the registered copy will include the probate clause, with the date of probate and the name(s) of the executor(s) who acted - not always the same as those named in the will.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 March 17 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Ideally, look at both. The original will have the actual signatures of the testator and the witnesses, and may contain some details not in the registered copy. But the registered copy will include the probate clause, with the date of probate and the name(s) of the executor(s) who acted - not always the same as those named in the will.

Many thanks. I thought that might be the case and where possible I prefer to look the original, however I'll make a note to look at both versions where possible.

Matt

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
    • Andy Alston's Repository
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 14:14 GMT (UK) »
In a few cases the writing may be better in the registered copy, but wills were generally written by a clerk who was well used to producing a legible document.
Inventories, often filed with the original, don't end up in the copy. They can enlighten you as to the living conditions of the person.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Every time you handle an original document, you contribute to its destruction.

If there is a copy available, work from that if you can. If it leaves you with an unresolved query which sight of the original might resolve, then ask to see the original.

Whether having sight of the original resolves the query or not, consider asking if you can lodge a note with the copy for the benefit of future researchers, saying "Having viewed this copy, I was left with the following uncertainty. I therefore viewed the original, with the following outcome: [here record your observations and conclusions]. Sign and date it.

Future generations of researchers will be grateful for any efforts you take to prolong the life of the documents in which you and they have a common interest, but in respect of which you have the unfair advantage of being allowed to take the first look ...
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Handling of original documents should not be an issue in this instance.

I can't see the LDS having an original will at The London Family History Centre, it will be a photo copy of the original. I would take the option to view both.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello MattD30,

Definitely view both. The registered copy was made more contemporaneously to the original than the images you can view now i.e. before either became badly creased/dirty/damp making the ink run/nibbled by mice etc plus it is in a different handwriting done while immediate family members and possibly the testator himself/herself were still alive to be consulted. It is very valuable to be able to view both side by side for comparison and interpretation.

Cheers,
Westoe