Author Topic: Am I really related to William the Conqueror??  (Read 12771 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Am I really related to William the Conqueror??
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 17:31 GMT (UK) »
I'm quite happy with all the small tradesmen, farmers, shipwrights, ag labs, etc in my ancestry - at least I'm pretty sure no one else wants 'em, and I don't need to order a tiara!
I try to keep my feet one the ground ... and that ground falls away on all sides before 1560s! more a landslide obliterating all than a gateway accessing all!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Is Danny Dyer now a gateway ancestor?
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 14:21 GMT (UK) »
! I like that! (He's going to take a long time to live that WDYTYA? down, isn't he?)
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Hammerman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Here's a tree showing God at the top all the way down to Prince George.

http://www.jesusevidence.org/gen.html
Greensmith - Greasley, Nottinghamshire; Rigley - Nottinghamshire; Wightman - Nottinghamshire; Lee - Nottinghamshire; James - Berkshire (maybe Gloucestershire); Lyons - London; Harrop - Prestbury, Cheshire; Rockett - Middlesex; Chandler - Lambeth, Surrey (maybe Norfolk); Gates - Middlesex; Clark - Islip, Oxfordshire; Richards - Gouldhurst, Kent; Bent - Redbourne, Hertfordshire; Angel - Throwley, Kent; Coker - Middlesex; Bailey - West Lavington, Wiltshire

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm!
I have just looked at the tree mentioned by Hammerman.  I could not quite understand  the link from Judah to Ireland.  I would need to see more of the evidence.

I will save the tree I found as was suggested earlier for interest and go back to slowly plodding through the records.

Jan
Tomlinson, Gash, Faulkner, Dickinson, Dawson - Lincolnshire
Toms, Street, Witt, Harris, Foot(e) - Hampshire

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Jan,

That's why I call it 'Fancestry'....most are all fantasy & for FindMyPast, I call it 'Blind my Past' as the transcriptions of some are a joke i.e. not findable to novices who don't know about mis-transcriptions/variants etc

Annie

I like that..... ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 23 March 17 14:40 GMT (UK) »
I'm quite happy with all the small tradesmen, farmers, shipwrights, ag labs, etc in my ancestry - at least I'm pretty sure no one else wants 'em, and I don't need to order a tiara!
I try to keep my feet one the ground ... and that ground falls away on all sides before 1560s! more a landslide obliterating all than a gateway accessing all!

I'm with you there, Yorky!

At least with all our rude mechanicals, when there's an extra-marital parental occurrence there's a reasonable chance that you'll find a bastardy order to tell you all about it, and will be able to research the TRUE reputed father! In the noble families, these things were as often as not swept under the carpet (not much point, really, in an Earl seeking a bastardy order requiring his cook to contribute to the upbringing of his child, is there??) and so you'll never find out that you're barking up the wrong (family) tree.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 23 March 17 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Agree. - But in another way, it'd be nice to get just that bit further back on at least one line. However, all so hopelessly "plebian" that I've not a cat in hell's chance of getting there.
Still, better than those mysterious Irish, who all seemed so vague about ages and place of origin even within Ireland - none of those goes beyond 1850!
_But I feel sure really that I must have William the Conqueror, Attila the Hun and possibly Boudicca in there, somewhere!!!

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 23 March 17 17:03 GMT (UK) »
I have some landowners in my tree and some gentlemen, many of these people started off at the bottom and worked their way up. I have rellies from Sussex so I may be descended from Billy The Conq.

Royal ancestors tended to have everything handed to them on a silver platter with bells on it whereas ag labs, weavers and local tradesmen toiled away to feed their families.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain