Author Topic: Blair/Kerland1830s Cookstown/Stewartstown  (Read 1033 times)

Offline rookewood1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blair/Kerland1830s Cookstown/Stewartstown
« on: Tuesday 21 March 17 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Greetings,
I was wondering whether some kind soul would be able to help me please. I have compiled quite a lot of family history detail but I get stuck with where my gg grandfather (Solomon Blair - an Ulster Scot) lived in Northern Ireland. Scottish Public records (marriage/death) list him as being born in County Tyrone. His parents are confirmed as Thomas Blair and Margaret Kerland (or Kerlin or Kirlin or even Kirnal– spelling differs between records). His stated birth date varies according to source but is in the range of 1837 to 1840. One fellow researcher (who I am unable to contact) lists Solomon as being born in Stewartstown in 1839.  Solomon’ s siblings (based on census records and death records) include Martha (born c1821), John (born c1827), Thomas (born c1827), William (born c1837), Robert (born c1839). These dates are rough as they vary widely depending on which record I look at (eg census, death certificate). A big age gap I now. Another piece of the puzzle is that I have confirmed that Solomon’s brother, Robert returned to County Tyrone in 1871 and married Rachael Blair (yes same surname) in Cookstown, Derryloran (I have those details). A prior family connection to that area perhaps? I would be most grateful for any assistance in helping me to pinpoint a parish birth record for Solomon Blair or his siblings, or a marriage entry for Thomas Blair and Margaret Kerland/Kerlin/Kirlin.
I hoped I haven't messed up in terms of message board etiquette.
Many thanks.
Kind Regards,

Mark Blair

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Blair/Kerland1830s Cookstown/Stewartstown
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Do you know what religion the family would have been in Ireland? Church records may, or may not exist, and of those that do survive no all are online.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rookewood1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your note. When Solomon  Blair was married in 1866 (after moving back to Scotland) he was married in the Church of Scotland, so I am assuming Presbyterian. Kind Regards, Mark

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 12:20 GMT (UK) »
PRONI's Guide to Church Records will show what they have in their collection which will give you an indication of what might survive-
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/proni-guide-church-records
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rookewood1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 March 17 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the guide. I will try to narrow down the most likely churches. Regards, Mark