Author Topic: Issabella Bruce Sheffield  (Read 677 times)

Offline skala

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Issabella Bruce Sheffield
« on: Tuesday 21 March 17 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Trying to trace my 3 times Great Grandmother Isabella Bruce. At the 1841 census she was shown as living with George Bruce 40 she was 35 and their son also George aged 15.Living in The Wicker Sheffield.I believe it to be Stanley St Wicker as this is where they both died. I have been trying for years to get a death cert for her but no joy .From  Sheffield Family History Soc and Sheffield Indexes I have the burial details. She died and was buried 8th Dec 1844 in St Peter and St Pauls Church(Sheffield Cathedral).Details give her husband as William but I think this is an error and may refer to the Vicar who buried her ,his name was William. as all other family records point to George being her husband and George her son. I have details of her husband Georg's death in 1846 and a coroners report for him. I seem to have hit a brick wall on both these Great Grandparents as only the mark h beside his name on the 1841 census showing he was born outside area and I against Isabella and young George denoting that they were born in Ireland is the only information I have about them. Can anyone help me move this research on ?Many Thanks

Offline saw119

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Issabella Bruce Sheffield
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 13:36 GMT (UK) »
I'm not entirely sure what you are after but husbands occupation is given as Shoemaker on the burial register and address is given as Stanley St.
Woollen and the variations thereof (Woolin, Woollin, Woolen etc) in the West Riding area

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Have you any idea what happened to the son George after his parents died? I've had a very quick look in the 1851 census (England only - it would be worth checking elsewhere too) and found two George Bruces born in Ireland, of the right sort of age.

One is a tailor in London living with a family called Reggan (head born Ireland), possibly as a lodger. The other is with a McKey family in Liverpool, as a cousin. The household also includes an older Mrs McKey, born in Ireland and mother of the head.

If George with the latter family happens to be yours, that may give you some clues to work with.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline skala

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply George junior married Hannah(Ann) Oldfield and on the 1851 census is visiting Hannahs mother and father in Rawmarsh near Rotherham.I am ok with George junior and subsequent generations it is Isabella and her Husband George who are causing the problems. I don't know where George was born as on 1841 he is given as out of area .Young George is given as born Ireland on 1841 census but on future census is shown as born in Scotland and even Yorkshire. Isabella I only have born in Ireland according to 1841 census. I have been unable to get a death cert for her and have searched BMD but cannot find a record for her death. I seem to have hit a brick wall with finding where they both came from and getting a death cert for Issabella. Thanks for any help 

Offline saw119

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Something worth investigating perhaps?

A George Bruce marries Isabella Robertson in Peterhead, Aberdeen on the 24th September 1820

Then in 1823 a George Bruce is born to George Bruce in Peterhead, Aberdeen. Baptised 13th Jul 1823.

Then again another George Bruce is born to George Bruce in Peterhead, Aberdeen baptised 4 Sept 1825.
Woollen and the variations thereof (Woolin, Woollin, Woolen etc) in the West Riding area

Offline skala

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Saw 119 will investigate .Cheers Skala

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Since (presumably) George and Isabella were responsible for the 1841 census information, I would have thought they would have known whether their son was born in Scotland or Ireland, particularly if it was as remote as Peterhead? (However, I'm not sure what the household returns looked like - might the enumerator have misread an S as an I?)

In 1851 George is said to have been born in Sheffield, and with no parents to ask, it may be that he had no memory of living anywhere else. And Scotland in a later census may have been a "helpful" suggestion - "didn't your parents come from Scotland or Ireland or somewhere, and weren't you actually born there too?"
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Not sure where you live, but have you contacted Sheffield Register Office regarding Isabella's death certificate?  It might be that the information was not passed on from Sheffield to the GRO.  I also notice that the GRO Index, from which FreeBMD etc. did their transcribing, is a typewritten list - typewriters were not invented until 1868 - the original for 1844 would have been hand-written.

I remember, a long time ago now, I obtained a certificate from a "local" Register Office, which did not appear on the GRO listing. 

Worth a try - if you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer  ;)  0114 2039423

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline skala

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks but I live in Chesterfield and have contacted Sheffield register Office also Sheffield Family History Soc and Sheffield Index site and there is no trace of a death being registered only a record from the National Burial Index. I seem to have come to a blank end with her. I have plenty of information on her husband George's death as he died as the result of a drunken accident and died in hospital. A coroners report appeared in the Sheffield papers at the time  and the coroner was the informant to his death. No details in the newspaper report gave me information on his family.