Author Topic: William Harward, Portsea, Hampshire  (Read 389 times)

Offline Kerry Lisle

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
William Harward, Portsea, Hampshire
« on: Tuesday 21 March 17 12:28 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find some info on William Harward, born 1751, died 21 March 1838 in Matlock, Derbyshire. Married 17 June 1779 to Ann Stephen in Portsea, Hampshire.  They had 4 or 5 children.  He was a Mercer living in Potwell House, Portsea and of some wealth.  I am wanting to know where he was born and who his parents were.  He, along with his wife Ann appear on a wall monument to Arthur and Catherine (nee Harward) Chichester in Bishop's Tawton so I presume they are related in some way to Catherine Harward and the Harward family of Devon.  Any help would be appreciated.
regards Kerry

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Harward, Portsea, Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerry and welcome to Rootschat :)

Are you absolutely sure he is the same William who died in Matlock in 1838?

I ask because there is an inquest report in the Morning Advertiser, 24 January 1837, concerning a William Harward (traveller to the house of Messrs. Shaw & Pearce, silk mercers, St Pauls Churchyard, London) who died by suicide at the Dolphin Inn, Chichester at some point after his arrival there "on Tuesday evening" [which would have been 17 Jan 1837 I think].
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Harward, Portsea, Hampshire
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Ah I see.  Your William was originally of Potwell but by the time he made two codicils to his will in 1833 and 1836 he was of Matlock.  Probate granted 1 May 1838.

Notices of the death of William Harward, Esq (87, of Totwell House, Hants) at Dale Cottage near Matlock on 15 March 1838 were placed in the Derby Mercury of 21 March 1838 and the Derbyshire Courier of 24 March 1838.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)