Author Topic: Autosomal DNA - identify great grandparent?  (Read 2868 times)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Autosomal DNA - identify great grandparent?
« on: Tuesday 21 March 17 21:20 GMT (UK) »
I have a mystery ancestor, who was the maternal great grandfather (precisely, mother's mother's father) of my grandmother. Would an autosomal DNA test be likely to turn up anything useful in identifying him?

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Autosomal DNA - identify great grandparent?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 21:50 GMT (UK) »
A lot depends on who you test, this is because autosomal DNA is only good for about 5 generations at most. So if you could test your grandmother there would be more chance than if you tested yourself i.e your grandmother is 4 generations removed whilst you are 6 (4+2). The chances of the test being on you and being successful would be very low
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your response :). Yes I meant for my grandmother taking the test. But I presume it would then require that mystery great grandfather to have had other children or other siblings who had offspring, otherwise there would be no chance of a match, is that correct?

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your response :). Yes I meant for my grandmother taking the test. But I presume it would then require that mystery great grandfather to have had other children or other siblings who had offspring, otherwise there would be no chance of a match, is that correct?

BIB - yes that is really what is needed and them (or their children etc ) to have tested. Even though its a long shot but people to hit lucky sometimes so good luck.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again. Is there any real difference between the ancestry and familytree dna test? Is one more sophisticated than the other? I'm guessing ancestry may be much more popular in the UK, so perhaps more likely to get a match assuming any descendants are in UK? Is there a way to import one's test results into the other's databases?

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 11:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm in the UK and even though it has fewer UK people on its database I chose FTDNA because I didn't want to be tied in to an Ancestry subscription.

I think I read somewhere that FTDNA and Ancestry use the same chipset, whatever that means, but I could be imagining it or that might have changed so don't quote me.  I think that what they're able to test is the same, but they may place different interpretations on the results (in terms of ethnicity for instance, the two companies have differently named areas of the world which don't directly map against each other).

You're not restricted to matches provided by just the company you test with.  You can upload your autosomal results to GEDMatch from different companies (FTDNA, Ancestry and 23andMe plus probably others too).  Also FTDNA will accept (without charge) results from other companies.  As will MyHeritage.

I tested nearly 2 years ago now and if I was doing the same again, I'd still take the same route as I did then.

best wishes
Jane : )
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline rsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again. Is there any real difference between the ancestry and familytree dna test? Is one more sophisticated than the other? I'm guessing ancestry may be much more popular in the UK, so perhaps more likely to get a match assuming any descendants are in UK? Is there a way to import one's test results into the other's databases?

Ancestry will probably give you more matches than FTDNA, plus you have the advantage that you can download the results and upload them to FTDNA, and GEDMATCH to take advantage of any matches on those site. if you test elsewhere though, you can't upload your results to Ancestry.

Richard
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Wellington - Dagenham, Essex
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex
Streeter - Sussex
Coates - Sussex
Maisey - Surrey

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 March 17 04:06 GMT (UK) »
I have a mystery ancestor, who was the maternal great grandfather (precisely, mother's mother's father) of my grandmother. Would an autosomal DNA test be likely to turn up anything useful in identifying him?

I used autosomal DNA to confirm the identity of my paternal great-grandfather, although it helped that I had a suspect in mind (that's him pictured on the left).  I initially got three (now up to five) 4th cousin matches that indicated I was on the right path , and then tracked down one of his legitimate grandchildren who agreed to test with the result being that person shared the right amount of DNA with my uncle for them to be half 1st cousins.

I also confirmed that one of my maternal great-grandfathers wasn't a foundling by comparing two of his grandchildren (my uncle and his first cousin) with descendants of two other lines that would be their paternal 3rd cousins.  That assisted one of the other lines as they had a rumour their grandfather had been the result of an NPE - which I was only told after I had paid for one of them to test!  Now we've confirmed that I hope to one day discover who his mother was.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 March 17 11:13 GMT (UK) »
I'm in the UK and even though it has fewer UK people on its database I chose FTDNA because I didn't want to be tied in to an Ancestry subscription.

I think I read somewhere that FTDNA and Ancestry use the same chipset, whatever that means, but I could be imagining it or that might have changed so don't quote me.  I think that what they're able to test is the same, but they may place different interpretations on the results (in terms of ethnicity for instance, the two companies have differently named areas of the world which don't directly map against each other).

You're not restricted to matches provided by just the company you test with.  You can upload your autosomal results to GEDMatch from different companies (FTDNA, Ancestry and 23andMe plus probably others too).  Also FTDNA will accept (without charge) results from other companies.  As will MyHeritage.

I tested nearly 2 years ago now and if I was doing the same again, I'd still take the same route as I did then.

best wishes
Jane : )
Thanks for your response Jane :) I see you can order Familytreedna through the Genealogist, not sure whether it works out cheaper? Findmypast apparently also give a discount but only if you get a years subscription, anyone know how much the discount is?

https://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/dna/
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/first/family-tree-dna

Ancestry will probably give you more matches than FTDNA, plus you have the advantage that you can download the results and upload them to FTDNA, and GEDMATCH to take advantage of any matches on those site. if you test elsewhere though, you can't upload your results to Ancestry.

Richard
Interesting, thanks Richard. If that is the case it seems you have a few more options if you get the ancestry test (I note there's £10 off until the 26th).