Author Topic: Gravestones etc  (Read 17234 times)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Gravestones etc
« on: Thursday 28 July 05 09:01 BST (UK) »
Not wanting to hijack Gracelands thread, but following a similar line of thought, I have questions to 2 subjects:

1)
If the grave of, say, your great great grandparents from ca. 1860 was still there, the grave all over grown, the headstone simply decayed away so that the council would probably lay it flat or remove soon, what would you do?
Would you clear away all the rubbish and detritus? Would you leave the stone as it is as a "monument, because thats the original stone"? Or would you arrange to have a new stone erected?

2)
You find the grave of another set of gg grandparents. Due to their financial circumstances at the time, they couldn't afford a stone. You know that not only are your gggp there, but also 3 of their children. You know the date of burial, you know the dates of birth and the dates they died.
Would you have a stone put on the grave? If so, would you ask other family members to contribute?

These are current subjects of mine, I've been mulling them over in my mind for a while and I'd now like to hear the opinions of others.

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Gravestones etc
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 July 05 09:20 BST (UK) »
Personally if I could afford it I would erect a new stone in each case.  I would also ask other family members if they wished to contribute but be prepared for them to refuse.

:)

Offline Linda_J

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 July 05 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

I asked about a rellies stone in the local cemetery here in Kent, England. Their reply was only the person who had purchased the grave could have a stone changed or repaired. Presumably the 'ownership' would pass to the next of kin.

I am wondering if each local council set their own rules or if there is a set rule for the whole of the UK.

Linda
Dove - Maidstone Kent
Ralph - Relf - Cranbrook Kent
Cottrell - Barcombe Sussex
Ecclestone - Norfolk and Suffolk
Gooch - Norfolk
Burgess - Sussex and Hampshire
Stanton - Breconshire
Other names; French, Beale, Higgins, Measday (all Kent)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 July 05 20:35 BST (UK) »
Gravestones like all heritable property including burial plots may be assigned in a will otherwise they are included in the clause that covers all other unamed items.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 July 05 20:43 BST (UK) »
Not wanting to hijack Gracelands thread, but following a similar line of thought, I have questions to 2 subjects:

1)
If the grave of, say, your great great grandparents from ca. 1860 was still there, the grave all over grown, the headstone simply decayed away so that the council would probably lay it flat or remove soon, what would you do?
Would you clear away all the rubbish and detritus? Would you leave the stone as it is as a "monument, because thats the original stone"? Or would you arrange to have a new stone erected?

2)
You find the grave of another set of gg grandparents. Due to their financial circumstances at the time, they couldn't afford a stone. You know that not only are your gggp there, but also 3 of their children. You know the date of burial, you know the dates of birth and the dates they died.
Would you have a stone put on the grave? If so, would you ask other family members to contribute?

These are current subjects of mine, I've been mulling them over in my mind for a while and I'd now like to hear the opinions of others.

D

I have helped others in both situations.
1) Rather than remove the existing stone arrange to have a new stone the same size and shape placed back to back with the original stone.
Any new inscription may be added to the new stone which will provide support for the original.

2) If the vicar or the cemetery authorities allow a stone could be placed on the grave with a date of when it was erected to avoid confusion in later years.
Whether to ask for contributions depends on the family members situation and feelings towrds the person buried.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline jinks

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Thomas Pye
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 July 05 22:33 BST (UK) »
When my Grandmother died, years ago
her name was never placed on the Gravestone,

Many moons later my Grandfather was then
buried in the same grave, and still no
inscriptions.

The grave now consisted of Great Grandfather,
Great Grandmother, Two small children, my
Grandfather and Grandmother.
(Grave now full)

Many moons later it was agreed to place my
Grandparents names on the grave. but the
gravestone was full.

So another Gravestone was made and the
inscriptions were placed on. (I was pleased)

But the two small children were omitted
(I cannot say I was in agreement but it was
the older generation that made the desision)

Jinks

Being into family history I would place as much information as was possible.
ie. b1900 d.1990
maiden name, abode, relationships.
Ashton Lancashire
Eccles Lancashire
Fletcher Lancashire
Harwood Church/Darwen
Jackson Staffordhire/Worcestershire
Jenkinson Cockerham
Marsden Hoghton Lancashire
Mercer Lancashire/Yorkshire
Pye Wyresdale
Singleton Lancashire
Swarbrick  Longridge
Watt Scotland/Lancashire

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 July 05 00:11 BST (UK) »
I have found a child of my great-grandmother who died when she was only 18 months old in 1911.  They could not afford a headstone at the time and as years passed on no one knew she existed until I found her again.

I am having a stone put on her grave and plan on asking the previous generation (my father and his cousins) to donate if they would like.  If not, no problem, I will still have it done.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 July 05 04:58 BST (UK) »
Interesting about ownership of graves and restrictions on what you can do!

My local cemetery here in Oz is very laid back.  Doing the right thing, I went to see the cemetery admin. officer before starting to do anything.  His attitude was that it was up to me what I did and he didn't even particularly want to know about it!  Certainly didn't ask for any proof that I was a descendant of the people buried there.

I have a dilemma about caring for graves also.  A few months ago, two cousins in Sydney took me on a drive to see family graves they had discovered.  Many were very historic, and also in very poor repair.  But one cousin in particular feels that they should be left as they are.  As she was the one who found them, and as Sydney is 1,000 kilometres from where I live, I don't feel I can do anything, but it is niggling at me!!!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 July 05 05:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie, just reading your comments and agree we are much more laid back over here (in Oz), and apart from historically important cemeteries like Rookwood in Sydney, as long as you are not intentionally desecrating a grave I think pretty much anything goes in terms of restoration/clearing/cleaning etc!

I went to London last year for a few months (studying) and was quite close to the old Camberwell cemetery, so decided to visit one lunchtime (having written to the local council beforehand and got a map showing where my grave of interest was located).  When I walked in the gates I was pleasantly surprised, everything was well-kept and there were workers tidying up about the place, nice paths, little buildings etc.  But then I turned off about 50 yards inside the gates, onto a little gravel path leading between VERY overgrown plots...the first row on either side of the path was cleared, but after that it was thick brambles, HUGE rosebushes (honestly, I've never seen anything like it!!) and reasonable sized trees growing all over and between the graves!  I had to find one that was 3 rows in, and then when I found it the stone was face down on the grave!!!

I took two distant cousins there a few weeks later, and we turned the stone over so we could read it (after taking secateurs and knives to clear a path!) but most of the face of the stone had rotted away into the earth - it had obviously fallen a long time ago.  However, we made out some of the names and other text (we knew who had been buried there from the cemetery records)...we decided to leave the stone up - we and our immediate families are the only descendants of the people in the grave, so we felt it was our right to leave the stone upright and visible, if it had been in better condition we might have laid it down again to preserve the carving, but so much of it was gone we preferred to have it standing so it could at least be seen from the path.

I was really saddened by the state of about 80% of the old Camberwell cemetery.  The same, I believe, goes for many of the very large Victorian urban cemeteries in London.  The letter I had from the council indicated that the grave was in a "conservation" area - when I first read that I thought "oh good, they are conserving all the graves so it will be in great condition!" - how wrong I was!

Gosh, what a rambling post that was  :-[

Have attached a pic of part of the stone so you can see the state it was in.  I asked the council if I could lift it and they said I could basically do what i liked with it.

Prue