Author Topic: Names cant decipher  (Read 757 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Names cant decipher
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Have you got Eliza's death cert? I was looking on Papers Past and I think she has remarried to William Young. Surname spelt Woodburn.

Why are you looking for her in Scotland?

NZBDM lists her as Elizabeth Woodburn for the birth of their 5 children. One of which is Ann who is daughter of Robert and step daughter of William Young Jnr, upon her marriage.

Their funeral notice for son, aged 8, has is name as William Stewart Woodburn. Elizabeth was still Mrs
Robert Woodburn at this time 1881 and Ann had step-father in 1892.

Elizabeth's marriage to William: 1887/121 Eliza Woodburn to William Young

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Jessie's New Zealand birth was registered in NZ with parents as Elizabeth and Robert.  It is indexed as WOODBURN, Jessie Mitchell as per NZ BDM online index #1871/34579.   

I agree with Jamjar, as I can see that  Elizabeth and Robert WOODBURN were in NZ by 1866, as per NZ BDM online births index and deaths index.  :)

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/search

I think the following 1865 NZ marriage may be of interest as perhaps there's a mis-read of his surname?
1865/8600
Elizabeth  STEWART Robert  WOODMAN

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 03:24 GMT (UK) »
Jamjar & JM,

From your finds, I am assuming we should be looking for a birth for Elizabeth on SP?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 03:54 GMT (UK) »
Not sure whether it will make a difference to your search, but I read it as:  Steuart

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 04:03 GMT (UK) »
There are many Elizabeth Stewart on SP. One of her marriage certs would be the way to go.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 04:17 GMT (UK) »
Yes, before searching Scotland for Elizabeth, the info on NZ marriage records is usually quite informative.   I would aim for a NZ BDM printout (not the cert, but the printout option) for the second marriage, because of info on the NZ BDM website :

From 1880 – Marriage Act 1880 (Dated 17 January 1880)
##Local number

Bride and Groom
##When and where married
##Name and surname of the parties
##Ages
##Rank or profession
##Condition of parties
##Bachelor or spinster (or as case may be)
##If widow or widower date of death of former wife or husband
##Birthplace
##Residence: Present, Usual

Parents
##Father's name and surname
##Father's rank or profession
##Mothers name and Maiden surname

Signatures
##Bride and groom
##Witnesses
##Officiating minister (or Registrar)

Printout - post 1874 20.40 A copy of the information from the registration, and usually used for research purposes. It is either handwritten or typed

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/home

And there's also the ITM information .... (Intention to Marry)  I think I recall an RChatter on the NZ board with access to the ITMs at the Archives ...   http://www.rootschat.com/forum/new-zealand/

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 04:34 GMT (UK) »
There are many Elizabeth Stewart on SP. One of her marriage certs would be the way to go.

Yep Jamjar,

I was just doing an elimination of what the OP's query was likely to be, given there were no clues to anything & working with what you & JM have found  ;D

Her age on marriage will be important & parents names would be the way as hopefully if place of birth doesn't give any specifics e.g. Scotland with no place name then the marriage of parents would hopefully be where she was born?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 04:42 GMT (UK) »
Not sure whether it will make a difference to your search, but I read it as:  Steuart

Yes hd,

I noticed earlier that spelling is also on SP so depending on what info. is on the marriage cert. it's another variant to consider.

Annie