Author Topic: FTM Tree Sync ceasing from 29 March?  (Read 17448 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FTM Tree Sync ceasing from 29 March?
« on: Tuesday 21 March 17 23:25 GMT (UK) »
If I'm reading this correctly, the facility to Sync between Ancestry & FTM will cease from 29 March unless you purchase FTM 2017:

https://support.mackiev.com/244426-FamilySync-to-replace-TreeSync-in-FTM-2017

• On March 29, 2017, Ancestry will be permanently retiring TreeSync® which is being replaced by Software MacKiev’s FamilySync.

• Between Wednesday, March 29 and Friday, March 31, 2017 syncing functionality will be unavailable as Software MacKiev and Ancestry deploy the new syncing technology.

• FamilySync will be available only in Software MacKiev’s Family Tree Maker 2017 edition, which is planned for release on March 31, 2017.  No other FTM edition will sync with Ancestry trees.

• Ancestry’s search, merge, and Ancestry hints will all work as they do now in FTM 2017 for users who sync with their Ancestry trees. After March 29th these functions will no longer work in any other FTM edition.

• Among the new features of FamilySync is the ability for two or more computers in your home running Family Tree Maker, such as a desktop and a laptop, to sync with the same Ancestry Member Tree.

Pricing and Availability for FTM 2017

Family Tree Maker 2017 for Mac and Windows is available to pre-order today. If you purchased a Software MacKiev edition (FTM 2014.1 or Mac 3.1, both introduced on March 1, 2016) and have signed up for the FTM mailing list, you will receive a free downloadable upgrade by email. If you have NOT purchased a Software MacKiev edition or if you received FTM 2014.1 or Mac 3.1 as a free update, you can pre-order the upgrade from now until FTM 2017 is released for $29.95, and after release for $39.95. The price for those new to Family Tree Maker will be $79.95. All prices are for downloads. DVD and USB copies will be available for an additional cost.  FTM 2017 is for both Mac and Windows, and the installer includes a choice of US, Canadian, Australian or UK editions.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FTM Tree Sync ceasing from 29 March?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 23:41 GMT (UK) »
A bit more about FTM 2017.  Pricing seems to be the same in Dollars as in Sterling, which seems a bit of a rip-off for the UK customers  >:(

http://www.mackiev.com/offers/ftm2017/upgrade_promo_int.html?edition=uk

http://www.mackiev.com/offers/ftm2017/upgrade_promo_us.html
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline rayz1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 00:58 GMT (UK) »
This looks like a sideways charge for 2014 users who were given a free upgrade that has only lasted a few months before you are forced to buy another upgrade to carry on .

Offline barkbythorpe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 March 17 14:50 GMT (UK) »
So are we being forced to buy this update to continue this software to its full potential?

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 March 17 16:42 GMT (UK) »
So are we being forced to buy this update to continue this software to its full potential?

Seems that way.  I received an email this morning saying its £29.95 to pre-order up to 31 March but will be £39.95 after that.  For completely new users its £79.95!

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 March 17 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jomot-I knew there had been a previous thread but could not find it !!

Yes, that is how I understand it the "sync" is only to be continued on the 2017 version.

Kim

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 March 17 19:30 GMT (UK) »
I received that email today, and that's how I read it. When I checked it said it didn't recognise me as having purchased a copy of FTM, so I'm guessing that just updating from earlier copies to FTM14  and then to Mac3.1 doesn't count and you only get this update free if you have bought the full program since last March.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 March 17 19:54 GMT (UK) »
I've not received the email yet, although I did get the one before Christmas to upgrade to 2014.1.  In any case, as I primarily use Family Historian and only FTM to sync a tree I host for a friend on Ancestry, I've decided not to bother and am waiting for Roots Magic to role out their version of tree sync (supposedly next month) since according to a post on their website the update for this will be free if you have a full (not free) version of RM7.  I've got a licenced copy of RM6 as I used to use it for narrative reports before moving to FH (in conjunction with FTM), but as the upgrade to RM7 is cheaper I shall go down that route.  It also means I can let my friend easily have an offline copy of her tree to use in the free version of RM7.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 March 17 20:22 GMT (UK) »
I have FTM2012 and it let me upgrade.
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley