Author Topic: My Stenhouse line; Fouldan, and Roxbhurgshire, Bruces/  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Pistolero

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My Stenhouse line; Fouldan, and Roxbhurgshire, Bruces/
« on: Tuesday 21 March 17 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
My gg grandfather Ebenezer Stenhouse was born and raised in Fouldan, Scotland, Lothian Borders I think, along with his 10 siblings. They migrated to South Carolina, USA in early 1840s. His father and several generations before him lived in Roxgurgshire. I know they were or are a Sept of Clan or House of Bruce and related by blood. I wish I knew more about my Stenhouse line. I have them as I said back  to like 1500 in Roxburgshire.
Attached is a pic of my gr gr grandfather Ebenezer Stenhouse around 1860, around the time he served in SC forces in the War for Southern Independence. His hair looks like it is long and pulled around behind his head. His wife was Janet Campbell Barclay.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Stenhouse line; Fouldan, and Roxbhurgshire, Bruces/
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 March 17 13:01 GMT (UK) »
yes Ebenezer shows up in the 1841 census with his family

see census on Maxwell ancestry website

Stenhouse was a common name in the Melrose/St Boswells are especially in Newtown St Boswells in the past with links to berwickshire. - worth checking as foulden is in Berwickshire

strangely they is a slight resemblance in the photograph with a man I know whom ancestors where Stenhouse's

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: My Stenhouse line; Fouldan, and Roxbhurgshire, Bruces/
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 March 17 13:09 GMT (UK) »
What a fantastic picture (and a fantastic beard!).

Have you had a look at any of the Stenhouse records found at:

http://www.calmview.eu/HUBCAT/CalmView/

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .