Author Topic: William Thomas DALE, born 1890 in Gosforth  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Thomas DALE, born 1890 in Gosforth
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 March 17 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot JenB,

I logged back in and tried a few times but just kept getting the same 19 people, then on one of the attempts I decided to try a standard search (ie not just looking at the military records) but still just with his name and exact match. I got thousands of possibles so clicked on the military records filter on the left of the screen and suddenly he was there in the list.

I have no idea why, I don't think I've done anything hugely different.

I've downloaded the record now, it looks great. I've only had a quick look but his kids are listed on there so it is definitely him, there seems to be a lot of information about him on there so thank you all for all your help.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Thomas DALE, born 1890 in Gosforth
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 March 17 13:21 GMT (UK) »
I use the Card Catalogue a lot to get directly to the database I want to search.
Home Page: Search (in the menu across the top, in words),
from the list that pops up click Card catalogue.
Make sure that only records from Uk & Ireland is TICKED
Menu on left choose Military
That brings up a list on the right hand side and British Army WW1 Service records, 1914-1920 is first on the list.

If its a database I am going to use a lot, I copy the url when the search page opens and add it to My Quick links on the homepage. That way I can get to it with one click in the future.

Its not just you, the website searches don't always make life easy, chuck in mistranscriptions/ transcribers not adding in things like birthplaces and birth years consistently etc etc really doesn't help.

Having said that the subscription sites while they all have their individual faults / difficulties are still amazing resources but present a constant learning/relearning curve to get to what you want :-)

Boo