Author Topic: Driscoll/Johnston of various places help needed.  (Read 1045 times)

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Driscoll/Johnston of various places help needed.
« on: Wednesday 22 March 17 11:39 GMT (UK) »
I'm still struggling with a big brick wall in my tree. 

My great grandparents married in Lanacshire, England in 1897.  Both were born in Ireland (Mary Salmon born 1873 Dublin and Cornelius Driscoll born in 1874, Kildare).  When they marry, it is in a Catholic church and Cornelius states his father his deceased. (Timothy Driscoll)

In 1898, they aren in Dublin and have baptised first daughter, Mary Ann O'Driscoll.  (She married Richard Maguire).

1901 and 1911, they are living on Main Street, Swords, Dublin.  Cornelius puts his place of birth as Kildare both times. 

Baptism record for Cornelius fits in Naas, Kildare, 1874.  Parents Timothy and Margaret nee Johnston.  A few more children are found, Daniel (1867, Tipperary), Catherine (1869 Kildare), Dinah (1872, Kildare), Margaret (1877, Kildare). 

Marriage for Timothy Driscoll and Margaret Johnston in 1864, Tipperary, fits with names and first born.  The baptism records I have found are Church of Ireland, as is the marriage record.

Timothy father is Timothy also (a farmer) , and Margaret is John Johnston, a shoe maker. 

This is where I am stuck.  I think I have found Cornelius short Service, British army record. On there he states he is a farm labourer (which matches farmer on marriage cert) and that he is church of ireland, born 1873, Kildare. The documents are signed around 13/15 august 1892, In Dublin, but by the 17th August 1892, it says " Discharged in consequence of not being likely to be an efficent soldier"

Next of kin is Daniel Driscoll, brother, of Johns Town, Kings county. 

The next thing I found is in 1883, a Cornelius Driscoll, an Orphan, in Kilmeague. The year of birth in 1877, so off by a little bit.  Religion is Church Of Ireland.  Also on this list, is Daniel Driscoll, also an orphan.  Could this be my great grandad?

In 1883, a Margaret Driscoll is sent to Grangegorman prison.  For deserting her 3 children and leaving them to Celbridge union.  This states she was born in Limerick and is 50 years old.  She was given up by John Johnston.  (Father?)

In 1882, I found a death for Timothy Driscoll, in Celbridge, but I have yet to apply for the death certificate (waiting on printer ink so I can send off for a 4 Euro pdf)

Finally, in 1900.  There is a baptism (first name missing) for a ? Driscoll, born in 1868 but baptised in 1900, living in Dublin, parents Timothy Driscoll and Margaret Johnston, both dead.  There is latin on it and I believe somebody roughly translated in via facebook that the baptism was to change religion to catholic.  That same year/month, Mary Driscoll, of the same adress as the baptism, marries Thomas Sheridan.

I know thats a lot of information... But I'm really struggling with a few things... Why can I find no origional baptism for Mary Driscoll, between tipperary/kildare (thats if she is a sister of great grandad).

I'm not sure how to find any more info on Timothy Driscoll, don't know where he was born and as you can see this family seemed to move about a bit... Where else or what else can I try? I have a rough year and place of birth for Margaret Johnston, but even that is proving difficult. 

I was hoping to find a news paper article about her deserting the children, but I have searched high and low.  I have a month subscription to rootsireland, I have ancestry and FindMyPast, I've searched familysearch and irishgenealogy but I'm just missing something. 

I don't know what happened to any of the kids apart from Cornelius.  (My ancestor). He had 6 children and died 4 years after my dad was born (so obviously dad doesn't remember him). 
Nottingham/Derby - Alvey, Machin, Scott, Stevenson, Redfern, Lowe, Coupe, Bowler, Strutt, Miller
Worcestershire - Burrows, Smith, Machin, Hardman, Nash, Sanders/Saunders, Davis, Adams
Buckinghamshire - Burrows, Woodward, Adams
Ireland (Dublin/Malahide/Cork) - O'Driscoll, Henvy, Gallaghan

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Driscoll/Johnston of various places help needed.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 12:14 GMT (UK) »
"....found a death for Timothy Driscoll, in Celbridge, but I have yet to apply for the death certificate ...."

Have you checked to see if Image is online free??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Yes via irishgenealogy it is not... would it be available anywhere else?

I've got the details written down, just waiting on mr postman delivering my printer ink. 

Relooking at it, it says he was 59 when he died, placing his birth around 1823. 
Nottingham/Derby - Alvey, Machin, Scott, Stevenson, Redfern, Lowe, Coupe, Bowler, Strutt, Miller
Worcestershire - Burrows, Smith, Machin, Hardman, Nash, Sanders/Saunders, Davis, Adams

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 12:23 GMT (UK) »
I'm getting myself into a right tiffy about it.

If this is the right Timothy, and Margaret did desert the children, he would have been around 40 when he married and she would have been in her 30s.  The marriage record on rootsireland says he was a bachelor and she was a spinster... 40s and 30s is quite late for those days to marry, isn't it?

Just wish something would click and make sense!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Well the Cert will give address, then check RCB to see if Parish Registers exist...

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 14:03 BST (UK) »
I've recieved the official marriage cert for Timothy and Margaret, no extra information.

I've also recieved what I thought might have been Timothys death cert, but now I don't know what to do with the information.

The fellow on the death cert is as follows;

Timothy Driscoll, of Dronadea.  Died at the Celbridge Union Workhouse.  Occupation is Pauper.  Aged 59 in 1882. He died of Inflamation of the bladder.  Information of James Kelly, occupier. 

Nothing really other than name and location to confirm a possibility of being my great great grandfather. 

Where could I go no?  I can't find anything of Celbridge workhouse, other than general information, was hoping there would be records like the Dublin one.