Author Topic: Help Finding a Ship from Sri Lanka  (Read 1246 times)

Offline amyjane5826

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help Finding a Ship from Sri Lanka
« on: Wednesday 22 March 17 12:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to trace down ship departure date from Sri Lanka back to the UK the Ship is called "Empire Clyde"

i know this left liverpool to colombo on 19th July 1955 and I'm trying to find out when it went back.

any help or pointing in the right direction would be great.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help Finding a Ship from Sri Lanka
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 14:23 GMT (UK) »
The ship arrived in Liverpool from Hong Kong on 23 September 1955. So it must have gone to Hong Kong (possibly other ports) after Colombo.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 14:35 GMT (UK) »
You get lots of hits from Google on "HMT Empire Clyde."
As she was a troopship you may also get some dates and details if you search using the regiment or corps that your man was serving with; some regimental museums may even have dated photos available.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline amyjane5826

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 14:41 GMT (UK) »
im researching my family history, i can see 4 member of my family went out but cannot find any sign of them returning, although i know they did. I'm trying to figure out if they all came back or if just one person.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Anchor Line archives are in Glasgow University Library.

Incoming passenger lists are on Ancestry. I can't find a way to search by ship's name but there's a reasonably effective search by passenger name. I'd avoid searching by port of departure as it seems that Empire Clyde would have called at several ports and only the first would show in the search.

What names and units are you looking for? Do you know they sailed outbound on the Empire Clyde? It's reasonably unlikely they would return as passengers on the same vessel.

Offline amyjane5826

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 15:20 GMT (UK) »
I do have ancestry and can confirm them going out on 19/7/1955 on the empire Clyde from Liverpool, I have the passenger list. But I cannot find them coming back. It is a family of a mother and three children.

The mother is Phyllis Owen, and the children are Annette Christine, Gordon Richard and Spencer Terenece

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 16:31 GMT (UK) »
I haven't found the family group together in incoming passenger lists, though I haven't explored all search possibilities. There are some possible Phyllis Owen hits, though. Have you discounted these?

And I wouldn't discount the Service connection - trace the father through his unit? Do you know who he was, rank, unit?

Offline amyjane5826

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Her husband as far as we can see was not in the forces but her father was, but he would have been 57 around this time we also have him on the 1939 registrar saying he's an unemployed labourer. His number is 36893 unit: Northumberland fusiliers rank:private

I can't find any record of her husband, his name Anthony derrick Owen