Author Topic: Ancestors of Thomas Hodgkiss b. 1850 Madeley.  (Read 722 times)

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestors of Thomas Hodgkiss b. 1850 Madeley.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 17:57 GMT (UK) »
On the 1901 Census Eliza is living with Thomas her son, her place of birth is High Ercall, Shropshire as it is in the other Census info I have given you. That's why I think it's the same family as you are looking for.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 19:06 GMT (UK) »
There doesn't appear to be Shropshire births for (as per 1861)

William Hodgkiss 8
Martha Hodgkiss 6
Mary A Hodgkiss   3

Perhaps John and Eliza 'adopted' these children.

JJ

Have found the above births recorded with the surname Hotchkiss mmn Ferrington.

All the census information found indicates that Eliza is the mother of Thomas but as there is only one birth for a Thomas Hodgkiss in 1849, Madeley (no mmn recorded) and then a death/burial in Madeley of a one year old Thomas Hodgkiss in 1850 I do question where is the birth record for Thomas Hodgkiss living with John and Eliza. It would appear that the birth records for the other children with John and Eliza were registered with mmn Ferrington.

I would be tempted to purchase the birth and death cert as mentioned above to confirm or rule out this Thomas.

JJ

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Geniehunter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 21:37 GMT (UK) »
I have a marriage certificate 25th Dec 1875 in Kemburton for Thomas Hodgkiss 26 (miner) & Ann Fenn 25.  Parents as John Hodgkiss (miner) and Edwin Fenn (labourer) respectively.  Witnessed by Samuel Fenn and Amy Fenn.