Author Topic: Re:Percy James Leigh Pearson 1881-1932  (Read 2216 times)

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re:Percy James Leigh Pearson 1881-1932
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 23 March 17 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Bill,
Regarding Percy and the Army. He joined up in 1899 but somewhere between then and the early 1900's he appears to have deserted which 'might' explain the missing 1901 information. He went back in 1906 when they re-started his service from the 8th May; even the Army are vague about what happened to him. He left the Army in 1915 after suffering rheumatic fever. That might have a bearing on the allusive 'missing children' because it was against the law not to register births with only still born slipping under the radar. They might have got away with one but there is potentially three with no record at all.

Alan
Hi Alan,
The marriage certificate dated 29 Jan 1901 shows his address as the York Barracks. Why would it say that if he had 'deserted'?
Bill

Offline Alpvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 23 March 17 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Bill,

If Percy had gone to South Africa for the Boer War he would have received a medal for just going which he did not.

Alan

Offline Alpvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 25 March 17 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Bill,
His marriage in the January said he was in York Barracks but with his new wife by the time the census came around he could have deserted as the 1902 birth of Edward says 'paperhangar'. The National Archives says the Army believe he deserted and his service was started afresh in 1906.

Alan

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 25 March 17 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Bill,
His marriage in the January said he was in York Barracks but with his new wife by the time the census came around he could have deserted as the 1902 birth of Edward says 'paperhangar'. The National Archives says the Army believe he deserted and his service was started afresh in 1906.

Alan
Hi Alan,

I hear what you say, but what puzzles me is how he was able to re-enlist in the Army if he was a Deserter. Surely, that was a serious military crime? Also, I know that he worked for some time at the War Office, which once again would be a strange job for a Deserter. You may be correct, but at the moment, I am a little sceptical.
Bill

Offline Alpvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 25 March 17 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Bill,

The National Archives says 'believed to have deserted' so after joining in 1899 it all becomes very vague including his life and for what ever reason he is back in the Army and gets no credit for previous service and they start him afresh in May 1906 until he leaves in 1915. As we all know dealing with Percy, nothing ever seemed straight forward.

Alan

Offline Alpvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 26 March 17 11:21 BST (UK) »
Bill,

To start closing some loopholes in our Percy's life. His daughter, Emily Pearson died in the Nazareth House Home in Middlesborough from pneumonia on the 15th April 1916.

The Richard Quinn daughter, Florence actually married in 1930 on the 21st April using the Pearson surname. She died in 1997 and her husband, Henry Bramma in 1984.

Alan

We WILL get there eventually.

Have you picked up the brother of Percy that people have missed, Tom born 1884, Died 1885.

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 26 March 17 12:04 BST (UK) »
Bill,

To start closing some loopholes in our Percy's life. His daughter, Emily Pearson died in the Nazareth House Home in Middlesborough from pneumonia on the 15th April 1916.

The Richard Quinn daughter, Florence actually married in 1930 on the 21st April using the Pearson surname. She died in 1997 and her husband, Henry Bramma in 1984.

Alan

We WILL get there eventually.

Have you picked up the brother of Percy that people have missed, Tom born 1884, Died 1885.
Hi Alan,
Yes, I did know all that. Florence did not know that she was not a Pearson until quite late on. I also know Walter Bramma, Florence's son. Thanks, I have now picked up the 'new' Pearson.
Bill

Offline Alpvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 26 March 17 12:09 BST (UK) »
Bill,

Do you need a copy of Tom's birth certificate for your collection. I am currently awaiting another 'possible' for the family later this week.

Alan

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 26 March 17 13:28 BST (UK) »
Bill,

Do you need a copy of Tom's birth certificate for your collection. I am currently awaiting another 'possible' for the family later this week.

Alan

Hi Alan,
Yes, that is very kind of you to offer.
Regards
Bill