Author Topic: John Murray - Seaman, Merchant Service, Living in Stirling, Scotland  (Read 4220 times)

Offline muriellecampbell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Murray - Seaman, Merchant Service, Living in Stirling, Scotland
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 17:43 BST (UK) »
My last message was to verify the id for John Murray Marine Return checking to see if he died in 1925 at age 29 which was at the birth year of John Murray Jr. born in July 1925. ;D ;)
Murray and Campbell

Offline Scribble1952

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 17:51 BST (UK) »
wwwcoastguardsyesteryear

Offline Scribble1952

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 17:52 BST (UK) »
May have some links for merchant seamen.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 17:53 BST (UK) »
Ah, thanks Murielle as I was puzzled  ::)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 18:15 BST (UK) »
When I was searching SP the other day, I also found this & thought it may be worth keeping in mind (possible relative)?

I haven't looked for a birth/death as I was searching for a marriage between Annie & John at the time.

Marriage

CAMPBELL ANNIE MURRAY
479/ 1188
Falkirk

Falkirk is in Stirling.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline muriellecampbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 01:54 BST (UK) »
I would love to find out if Annie Murray Campbell b)1946 born in Falkirk is related in some way to Annie and John?  Sometimes it takes looking for a relative then things come into place and one finds a whole group of ancestors.   :D 8)
Murray and Campbell

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 07 April 17 15:42 BST (UK) »
Falkirk is about 14 miles from Stirling but it was in the old county of Stirlingshire.

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 21 April 17 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi. I ran into the same brick wall as you when looking for my Uncle John Reynolds, all I was ever told by my Mother was "He died during the War" I spent a fortune on SP and many months reading pages of dead Soldiers on their web site to no avail, it was as if he never existed. I won't bore you with how I distilled it down to The Merchant Navy, but the first thing I learned is you will not find any entries regarding The Merchant Navy Service on Scotland's People, for these records you have to write direct to General Register Office, New Register House Edinburgh, Marine Register of Deaths.
If I remember in 2006 the fee was £11.
You will receive (if he died at Sea.) his Death Certificate which has - Name of Ship - His Number - Date of Death - place of Death (56Deg 10min North, 14Deg 08Min West) His name age and sex - His Rank or Job - his Nationality and place of birth registration - Last place of abode - Cause of Death.
Quite apart from that, every Ship has a Log Book which is preserved, it shows everything there is to know about the Ship such as the Masters name, where the Voyage commenced and its destination. In that log book will be a full description of your relatives death, the Office will tell you exactly how many pages relate to your relative and send you a copy of every page right down to a list of his personal effects, which in my case were in one box. I received 10 pages, a lot of it original hand written by the Captain & First Officer plus witnesses. 

A contributor suggested he might have jumped ship, I can tell you every jumper is listed in the Ships Log and which Port it happened.

I hope this is of some help to you

James.

Offline muriellecampbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 23 April 17 17:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your kind message James and for sharing your experience with your brick wall regarding your uncle.  So sorry and sad that you lost your uncle in this way.  Thank you also for directing me to the Marine Register of Deaths at the General Register Office, Edinburgh.  Much appreciated!  I am wondering if they also include my ancestor's parents in their entries.  At least they provide a birthdate which is very helpful as we don't even have that at the moment.  It appears from the information that you received from the General Register Office, that you only had to pay the 11 pounds total which is reasonable for all you received including your uncle personal effects.

We are also aware of any possibilities regarding my ancestor such as jumping ships but I also know that this would be recorded as well.  He could have run off and had a family elsewhere.  One never knows.  I am not going to give up on finding my ancestor.

Kindest Regards from Canada,
Murielle Campbell

Murray and Campbell