Author Topic: Churches around Ben Lawers  (Read 761 times)

Offline nad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Churches around Ben Lawers
« on: Thursday 23 March 17 14:27 GMT (UK) »
I've been trying to figure out where my Baptist Dewar family from Carie, Kenmore, Perthshire would have gone to church.  They left for Canada in 1833. 

I've been reading about the Lawer Kirk as well as the Baptist revival in the early 1800s.  What religion would have the Lawers Kirk been?  Presbyterian? Church of Scotland...are they they same thing?  I've also seen mention of a Free Church in that vicinity. 

I also read there were no Bible in the vicinity in the early 1800s - could this be true?   (source:  Memoirs of the lives of Robert Haldane of Airthrey, and of his brother, James Alexander Haldane. By Alexander Haldane.)

I'm so confused!  Any help would be welcome.

Natalie

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Churches around Ben Lawers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 March 17 20:51 GMT (UK) »

I've been reading about the Lawer Kirk as well as the Baptist revival in the early 1800s.  What religion would have the Lawers Kirk been?  Presbyterian? Church of Scotland...are they they same thing?  I've also seen mention of a Free Church in that vicinity. 

I'm so confused!  Any help would be welcome.

Presbyterian and Church of Scotland is the same thing. The Free Kirk was (and still is) a secession church. So also Presbyterian but with a slightly more strict interpretation of the Gospels etc. And separate records (none of which are on-line and many of which are lost).

Church of Scotland parish records are mostly on the Scotlandspeople site. Not all parishes have complete records.
Elwyn