Author Topic: How would you interpret this Tithe Applotment record?  (Read 789 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
How would you interpret this Tithe Applotment record?
« on: Thursday 23 March 17 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Last one on the page Partland Mary & Pat
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004625715/004625715_00343.pdf
Are Mary and Pat husband and wife, mother and son, sister and brother?

There is one further up the page McCormick TP and Widow, I would expect this is son and mother.

Wives aren't usually listed and why is it Mary and Pat not Pat and Mary?
Does her name coming first mean she is the more senior of the two?

Thought please?

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: How would you interpret this Tithe Applotment record?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 March 17 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Other than that it is probably not husband and wife, no way to say.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 March 17 18:00 GMT (UK) »
That is a puzzle.

My guess (highly speculative) would be Mary is the sister-in-law of Pat, or in other words, the widow of Pat's brother.  The reason it does not say "Widow Sullivan" is that Pat's wife is still alive, and so the name differentiates against the future possible outcome of him dying, and there being two women on the same plot with the same "widow" label.  Or less thoughtfully, that it was just written differently than the McCormick entry, perhaps on a whim.  Maybe, one was known as "Mary" and one as "widow."

I am a bit reluctant to accept the brother/sister theory.  It is my thought that these double names on plots were usually brothers, or less frequently, cousins or uncles/newphews.  It is my belief that a sister living with a a brother would just not have her name written, especially if she was young and later going to be married.

I've certainly seen women of a late age listed in some head of household capacity, either on the census, or in legal matters, so perhaps mother/son is a possibility, but I would lean more to something starting with a brother/brother relationship.  In remote, sparsely populated townlands, you sometimes see three related males together on the Tithes, with a widow tossed among them by Griffith's.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 March 17 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Sister in law is an interesting idea, I wouldn't have thought of that.

I'm more inclined towards mother and son.
I know there is a Patrick and Mary Partland having children in the parish in the early 1820s, what I don't know is if this is the same Pat in the Applotment book. There are several other Partlands in Cummerstown, one of these could be the father of the Patrick married to Mary so Patrick wouldn't be listed.
What is interesting about this two names record is there is another on the next page
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004625715/004625715_00344.pdf
another Mary and ?(James perhaps) Partland.
I know I can't ever know which Partland is 'mine' but it's fun to speculate and these double name records are intriguing.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 March 17 12:18 BST (UK) »
Mary & Pat indicates to me that there were 2 tenants each with a share in the land. In general, a father would leave the farm to a son, with the widow having a life interest in the property, which expired with her death. In that case, there’s only 1 tenant and you would just expect to see the son’s name alone after his father’s death. The mother wouldn’t be mentioned. For Mary to be named suggests she is a tenant in her own right. I think the widowed sister-in-law explanation is quite plausible.
Elwyn

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 March 17 16:48 BST (UK) »
From a later date but a lot of the land records I've collected list the widowed mother between her husband and son, maybe not at the time of the tithes but I think a lot of widows got named as lease holder, of course that would than beg the question why name the son at all so yes in laws may well explain it.
I guess it depends on how land was divided up in a family at the time.