Author Topic: John Reynolds JOHNSON - Biddenham and Tasmania?  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Ouse who

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
John Reynolds JOHNSON - Biddenham and Tasmania?
« on: Thursday 23 March 17 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps a fresh eye can help clear this up for me please?

John Reynolds Johnson was born 1799 in Biddenham and had 9 children by his wife Elizabeth (Cole). I think one of the children died as an infant. I can't find John in any Bedfordshire census.

In 1837 a convict named John Johnson from Biddenham was dispatched on Neptune 111 to Tasmania to begin 7 year sentence for stealing some wood. Records on the Tasmanian Government LINC website mention he had left a wife Elizabeth and 8 children back home.

I believe John Johnson to be John Reynolds Johnson - but can anyone think of any way of proving that to be the case?

Ouse who.
Bedfordshire: Albone, Brightman, Bowler, Hutchings, Islip, Johnson, Kidman,  Maynard, Pugh, Purser, Sharman, Thickpenny, Underwood, Young.
Devon: Banston, Blunt, Fisher, May, Parnell, Palmer, Rundle, Saunders.
Monmouthshire: Blunt

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Reynolds JOHNSON - Biddenham and Tasmania?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 March 17 20:24 GMT (UK) »
3.1.1837 at Bedfordshire  John Johnson aged 40 larceny before convicted of felony - 7yrs transportation
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ouse who

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 March 17 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole,

I have already seen the Bedford Criminal Register entry with John Johnson and his sentence - but is it referring to John Reynolds Johnson? >:(

Kind regards, Ouse who
Bedfordshire: Albone, Brightman, Bowler, Hutchings, Islip, Johnson, Kidman,  Maynard, Pugh, Purser, Sharman, Thickpenny, Underwood, Young.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 March 17 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ouse

Unfortunately - either he or "they" are keeping any middle name a secret :-X
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 March 17 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Just had a look at the 1851 and 1861 entries for Elizabeth.  In both she is shown as married so my money would be on the 1837 deportation being her husband - John Reynolds Johnson

Offline Ouse who

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 March 17 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole,

Thanks for your interest.

There are 3 references to John Johnson in the Bedford Gaol Register before he was convicted of Felony in 1837. His height and hair colour described in those is pretty close to the Tasmanian Government LINC Description List. Had the latter mentioned his grey eyes - that would have clinched it!  :o

But the census records, the Biddenham connection and the similarities in physical description would seem to make compelling evidence that John Johnson and John Reynolds Johnson were the same person.

John Johnson became a free man in 1844 and I suspect never returned to his roots (and obligations) in Biddenham.

Ouse who.