Author Topic: Trying to obtain information on my grandmother.  (Read 4761 times)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to obtain information on my grandmother.
« Reply #27 on: Friday 24 March 17 14:04 GMT (UK) »

Hi there

John David Hoy died in South Africa in 1965.

DEPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MHG                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 6427/1965                                                             
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          HOY, JOHN DAVID.                                                     
STARTING  19650000                                                             
ENDING    19650000                                                             
REMARKS   SURVIVING SPOUSE EILEEN ELIZABETH HOY (BORN CURTIS).   

Unfortunately what is online only goes as far as 1960 so can't get a look at the estate file.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 24 March 17 14:35 GMT (UK) »

Do you have John Curtis' full names or was he just John Curtis? Do you have the other brother's name by any chance?
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Kevin hoy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 24 March 17 14:58 GMT (UK) »
No sadly I do not have any more information on John Curtis except that he was my grandmothers brother and lived in Pietermaritzburg.

Is there no way we could establish my grandmothers ID number tracing back from her marriage certificate or information at hand to obtain information relating to her birth or death certificates?

It is so important to establish whether she was born in the UK or SA

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 24 March 17 16:12 GMT (UK) »

You wouldn't happen to know which religion she would have been baptised in?  Looking at her marriage certificate it would appear that they married in the magistrates court. It would narrow down the baptism records that need to be searched.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 24 March 17 16:23 GMT (UK) »
3 silly dogs,it's so handy having you on board as you know what records there are and where to find them.  8)

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 24 March 17 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Not always ;D ;D ;D

Family Search is still the best for South African records and new ones are added all the time. But there are a lot of untranscribed ones as well and they have to be searched image by image so it's easier to try and narrow the search.

Nookie is very good with South African records, I am always amazed at the things she finds.

Offline Kevin hoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 26 March 17 07:03 BST (UK) »
Hi 3sillydogs,
Thanks for all your efforts thus far. One question unanswered was her religion....I believe she was Methodist.
I would be very grateful if Nookie could assist as I sent most of Saturday again on all the genealogy sites including Family search, but with not help further.
I really don't know where to go from here in trying to obtain birth information pertaining to Ellen Hoy (Curtis), my grandmother.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 26 March 17 08:14 BST (UK) »

Hi,

Thanks, that will give a place to start.

I have also asked a mod to move this to the South African board as your research seems to be centred there at the moment. I'm sure that will get the really clever sleuths on it.

Offline Kevin hoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 26 March 17 08:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks a million, I will await a reply from your 'clever sleuths' re her birth place and certificate.