Author Topic: McCormick family from St Helens  (Read 1401 times)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McCormick family from St Helens
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 25 March 17 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kit don't know if you have read through all the army records for James McManus ? His wife Mrs Julia McManus applies for a separation allowance for her son William McManus born 5/10/1910  ..Address given for Julia is 61 ,Maples Street Rochdale Road Manchester in 1915 ... Birth record for a William McManus Oct ---Dec 1910 Bury Lancashire mother's maiden name McCormack ...A slight chance he is on later census as an adopted son ..No sign of Julia /Joanna or Catherine  ???

Rosie 

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 25 March 17 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I did. What a situation! I contacted Juliet via Ancestry to discuss further rather than hijack the chat too much.

As you say, can't find anything on Catherine/Kate but as I'm sure we all will be doing what we can to find her. I'll certainly be scouring what resources I have.

At least we're keeping it alive on the forum in case others can help  :)

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 25 March 17 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Maybe a fresh pair of eyes are needed  ;D ;D

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 25 March 17 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Juliet, thanks for responding to my Ancestry chat.  Who knows what families went through in those times.  Hand to mouth existence without a welfare state, as we now have in the UK.

Wonder if it might be worth your while putting this on the Lancashire board as there are many 'St Helens' in the UK and over the world (I know because I moved from the Lancs one to the Isle of Wight where there is also a St Helens).

If you do, you might want to include a link to this thread and let folk know that you have a lot on the other children but it is Catherine you are particularly interested in.  It will save others from repeating searches etc.

Let them know what you already have in the 1881c.  It will help.

added: you could also try - http://www.sthelenschat.co.uk/  a forum set up to discuss things of interest in the local area including genealogy.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 25 March 17 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Juliet,

I have been following this thread and like the others can find nothing. I did find also a tree perhaps yours? That shows Julia with maiden name Knight.
I looked on the GRO indexes with mothers' names and the only Catherine McCormick born 1881 has a mother named Matthews.
The tree links to that name in birth indexes but the new indexes show Matthews as I said.
This would fit with an Edward McCormick and Ellen Matthews marriage in 1880. I can't see them in 1881 but there is a family in 1891 - in Widnes and the children have Matthews as mmn in GRO but no Catherine.
I don't think the two McCormick families are related.

Do you have the details from the death certificate for the child Catherine?

Another point is that the tree shows Julia born in Manchester but that reference has a mother with maiden name Birmingham :-\.

There is a Patrick born 1873 with mmn Knight and a death in 1878 for a 5 yr old Patrick.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk