Author Topic: McCormick family from St Helens  (Read 1403 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: McCormick family from St Helens
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 March 17 16:08 GMT (UK) »
I'm obviously having a bad day.  I can't find the family on the 1881 census in St Helens and I can't find a suitable death in 1891 for father Thomas  :P

I'll keep looking and searching for clues for you.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 March 17 16:22 GMT (UK) »
I'm obviously having a bad day.  I can't find the family on the 1881 census in St Helens and I can't find a suitable death in 1891 for father Thomas  :P

I'll keep looking and searching for clues for you.

Hi Kit, if it helps

1881 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27L-Y9RS

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 March 17 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Cas, Ancestry doesn't appear to have them!

I'd just found James in the 1891 aged 25, a chemical labourer from Ireland.  Didn't know where he  or the parents were born, so that's quite helpful.  I suppose all these little bits help.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 March 17 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the family in the 1871 census?

Kit

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 March 17 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Found Thomas Snr and family in the 1871 census on FindMyPast:

Stony Street
RG11 piece 3736/36 page 28

Thomas McCormack 35 Furnace man Copper Work Ireland
JANE 33 Ireland
Thomas 7 Ireland
James 5 Ireland

Are Jane and Julia the same person?  same age

No baby Julia

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 March 17 18:42 GMT (UK) »

No baby Julia
[/quote]

Julia was born 1881  ;)

Ancestry do have them on the 1881 census Thomas McCormick b1838 Ireland
Piece 3736 Folio 36 page 28

1871 census piece 3865 Folio 174 page 52

Rosie

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 March 17 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie17, according to Lottieland (and the record I found on FindMyPast) Julia was 10 in 1881 so could have been born in 1870 or early 1871.

I will go and search the 1881 on Ancestry as you have found.  Thanks for the references.  Not good on searching with those details but will go and have a look.   :)  Like to learn different techniques.

Kit

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 March 17 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi kit sorry my mistake got the names mixed up was thinking of Catherine  ???..not seeing much at all
For her

Rosie

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 25 March 17 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Well, I can't find anything for a Catherine/Kate with any surname born St Helens in the 1891 or 1901 census, that might be yours.  Maybe someone else will have better luck.

Don't want to take this thread off track but I found it interesting that on James McManus' attestation record for WW1 in 1915 he says his wife is Joanna and deceased, but we know she was Julia and buried in 1923. (I see that the GRO entry for their marriage also shows her as Johanna.) NoK daughter Mary who would have been 11 or 12?  I suppose he served locally being 40+. Have you managed to get to the bottom of all that? Where was Julia/Johanna in the 1911c?  Lots of questions.

Also, with 2 of the children being born before the marriage, but with the GRO showing them as McManus with MMN McCormack.

No problem Rosie17, I'm always losing my way with names etc.

Happy hunting

Kit