Author Topic: Why is it so complicated to engage with roots chat discussions  (Read 14612 times)

Offline paul_poppy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Why is it so complicated to engage with roots chat discussions
« on: Friday 24 March 17 12:36 GMT (UK) »
I am new to the site and I know there are existing members that are my extended family (which I have just found on roots chat) but I can not figure out how to use this site.  I have replied to a discussion to first engage with them but I cannot see there other relevant posts.  I was told I need to do three posts to see stuff but I don't have anything to post, other than the discussion I mentioned.  This site seems overly complicated, can anyone explain ???

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Why is it so complicated to engage with roots chat discussions
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 March 17 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I went to look for your other post.
Virginia Moody.
Ok
Was she born in 1882 ish?
In Tasmania?
Ok if this is her I will keep the info for a week.

Answer to your original question.
When you reply to a post, an email is sent to the person who originally made the post.
Over the years of using this site I find that either they change their email address straight away (as if!) or they can't be bothered replying.
I know this is blunt but that is how it is.
More than likely this is will be edited by the moderator, to make it "Nice"
I have kept info and no one replies, then I dump it and then they reply...tough...can't get the info again, you should have replied earlier.
Don't worry give it about 3 years and someone will reply.
Maggsie

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 March 17 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Paul, It isn't complicated, you just need to start in the right place. Try here for information about how to get started. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=207046.0

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 March 17 12:55 GMT (UK) »
The site is far from complicated, and successfully used by thousands on a regular basis.

Like most things in life, though, there are rules in place to safeguard users and help with the smooth running of the site. To be mildly frustrated by any such, is better than to be hounded by, for example spambots, should you post an email address on a live forum.

As for replies, again, there can be numerous reasons for not getting one on a thread, but by virtue of the fact the thread is 'visible and out there', then you can always be hopeful of getting one, even if not in the timescale you would hope for.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 March 17 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Meant to also say, by clicking on the username of anyone in a thread, you can very easily see their profile, which includes when they were last active on site (ie to gauge likelihood of a reply), and also, within the profile page, use the further option of clicking on 'show posts', to view their posting history and read any of their old threads that might also be of interest. 
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 March 17 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat paul_poppy.  If you comment on this thread you will have reached your 3 posts and will be able to send personal messages to other RootsChatters.  It is a good idea to read the rules and regs first, the Beginners Board is also a good place to start.  Don't give up before you've hardly started ;)  We are all on a learning curve on RC, one way or another! 

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 March 17 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat. 

You have had responses to your original post for a Tasmanian Marriage look-up.  I have asked the Moderator to split it off and start a new topic for you.

You should receive an e-mail when responses are made to your posts, and you can then respond to them, by using the blue "Reply" button.

Good luck!  ;)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 March 17 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Paul.

Rootschat can be a bit tricky to find your way around but keep practicing and you will get the hang of it.

Firstly, you have started this thread in the "technical help/reference library section". It does not matter - I will ask a moderator to move it.  :)

You need to make three posts to be able to use the personal messaging system. This was set in place to avoid spam and other abuses. You can see everything else on the site no matter how many posts you have made.

I had a quick look at your post on the other thread. That thread is a few years old now and it is generally advisable to start a new thread of your own if you want help with new families. If you want to make contact with someone on another thread (no matter how old it is) definitely post on that thread. Sadly some people move on, change email addresses and even die, so do not necessarily expect an instant response to any reply on any thread. You sometimes need to be patient. :) Sometimes people join rootschat years later to make contact with a member if they have an ancestor in common.

If you want to contact any of the members on the Moody thread, click on their name and follow the prompts to send them a Personal Message. You should be able to do that n

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 March 17 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, I have just moved your post because you had posted in our resources section where it would not be seen.

The member that you had just replied to earlier is now online, members are based all around the world sometimes it does take a little time for them to pick up their emails.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk