Author Topic: Baranaby Gilfton of Errington and Offton (1764)  (Read 1328 times)

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Baranaby Gilfton of Errington and Offton (1764)
« on: Friday 24 March 17 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

My never-ending search for Suffolk's millers and their mills have lead me to look into Barnaby Gilfton.  He appears to have been letting out a windmill in Errington, Suffolk in 1764 (he was miller at Offton the same year).

I cannot find much about him, but if that is not problematic enough I cannot find Errington anywhere in Suffolk (apparently it is/was about 8 miles from 'Swich?).

Interestingly enough Offton, where Barnaby was, is also 8 miles from Ipswich!

Any help will be gratefully accepted,
Windy
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baranaby Gilfton of Errington and Offton (1764)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 March 17 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi obviously not the baptism, but possibly a brother of Barnaby baptising his child.

Note both these are recorded with surname GILSON:-

Baptism Barnaby Gilson 1st March 1761 Offton, St Mary Father John Mother Elizabeth
Marriage Barnaby Gilson 10th October 1762 Offton to Mary King

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 March 17 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keyboard86,

Useful info.  Both baptisms are in Offton, so that is good & the alternative surname may be really useful.

Thanks
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 18:59 BST (UK) »

Hi Windy - lots of Gilsons in the burial index no gilftons.

Barnaby d. 6/2/1765 Offton
Barnaby d. 11/11/1823 aged 62 Barking (b. 1761) this could be the one baptism given for)

so is other one yours??

Diddy

Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 19:08 BST (UK) »

only one article historical newspapers:

TO MILLERS. To be SOLD by PRIVATE CONTRACT, A Capital POST WINDMILL at Barking in Suffolk, with one pair of French stones, flour mill, and going gears complete, all in good repair, now in full trade, well situated for wind, and buying of corn, with a convenient dwelling house, granary, stable, cart shed, and other outbuildings, together with half an acre of garden ground. Possession to be had at Midsummer. For particulars apply to Barnaby Gilson, Barking-, may 12, 1820,
The Ipswich Journal - Saturday 13 May 1820

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 19:16 BST (UK) »

oops Gilfton:

And on Tuesday last Barnaby Gilfton, of Offton in the said County, Miller, was convicted by" the same Magistrate of driving a Cart on the Lord's Day, and paid the Penalty accordingly
The Ipswich Journal - Saturday 07 July 1764

To be LET or SOLD, In the Parish of Errington in the County of Suffolk, about eight Miles from Ipswich. A WINDMILL, with one Pair of Stones, one Cullen, and one Flint ; a Flour-mill in her, and all the utensils belonging to her. — lt is a new Mill, and has not been built three Years. Enquire of Mr. Barnaby Gilfton of Offton, or Mr. John Gilfton of Lavenham
The Ipswich Journal - Saturday 09 June 1764

Diddy

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Diddy,

Yes, I already have B. Gilson at Barking (incidentally he was called Barnby Gibson in 1805 insurance policy with brother(?) William).

It is the Offton Gilfton I'm after.  It is also likely that scribes wrote done what the thought the spelling (reporters) was, that printers got the wrong end of the stick and misplaced letters, etc.  My think is that they (Gilson, Gilfon, Gibson and Gilfton) are all the same mob.  This trying to get that link that is proving tricky.

Thanks for all your by the way,

Windy

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 20:06 BST (UK) »
Oops!  Mrs. Windy has just pointed out that my dyslexia has resulted in words in the wrong places.  I'm sure the sense is still there?

Windy

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 21:19 BST (UK) »
Diddy,

It was the last advert that you posted that prompted me to ask were Errington is.  I assume that it was close to Barking or Offton, but have failed to find it on any maps?

Windy