Author Topic: New War Memorial  (Read 436 times)

Offline Stu1136

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New War Memorial
« on: Friday 24 March 17 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello, my name is Stu.

Firstly, I am not sure this is in the right place, if not I am sorry and please move it to a more appropriate place.

I am the Chairman of Parish Council for Copplestone in Devon.

I know this is a family research forum but I felt you guys would be best placed to give me a pointer or two.

I am heading up a project to put a war memorial in a village that was once split between three parishes. Because of the split no war memorial was ever erected and I want to put that right. It has been a parish in its own right since 1992, So I have the job of finding the men who should be included. It could include men and women from any major conflict/war.

If anyone has ever been involved in such a project or can suggest how I go about moving this forward, I would love to hear from you.

Currently I have found Eight men from the Great War who lived in or was born in the area of the current Parish.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New War Memorial
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 March 17 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stu

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

I can't help specifically but have you looked at the 1911 census and then cross checked the CWGC site to see if there are any obvious casualties?

Other than that, a trip to the local archives to see if there are any casualties mentioned in the local papers?

Any mention of casualties in old parish magazines?

Good luck, sounds like a very worthwhile project.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea