Author Topic: Joseph Chambers/Chalmers Marriage  (Read 1193 times)

Offline hrudachyk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Chambers/Chalmers Marriage
« on: Friday 24 March 17 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm currently looking for the marriage of Joseph Chambers/Chalmers (b. abt. 1823 in Annahilt, Co. Down, Ireland) to Elizabeth Sloss (b. 1824 Old Cumnock, Ayrshire).

I have looked many times on the Scotland's People website using both Joseph and Elizabeth's names, but have not had any luck in finding the marriage.

Their first born child is George Chambers/Chalmers born in New Cumnock, Ayrshire in 1850.

I am not sure if the marriage is in Scotland or Ireland, but all of the records I have for Joseph are from Scotland; I have yet to find him in Ireland.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Hannah.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Chambers/Chalmers Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 March 17 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 March 17 22:59 GMT (UK) »
If they had any children born in Scotland later in the 1850s or in the 1860s, then their marriage place/date should be noted on the birth (except 1856-1860).

Have you viewed the OPR for the birth of George and the surname is not clear between Chambers or Chalmers, or do you have other records that suggest the two possibilities?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 March 17 01:57 GMT (UK) »
There's an Eliza Ann born 12 Jan 1863 Old Cumnock Ayr, to Joseph Chambers and Elizabeth Sloss on famsearch.
That should give you the parents marriage then.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 March 17 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Helen, I ended up believing you have not found the right marriage as her name was more likely Slop
Joseph married an Elisabeth Slop not Sloss

the clue in the 1841 census showing in the old Cumnock village
Elisabeth Slop b 1796 Ayrshire, living with
Mary Slop b 1821 Ayrshire
Elisabeth Slop b 1826 Ayrshire
George b 1828 Ayrshire
Helen b 1831 Ayrshire

the above Mary Slopaged 40 unmarried is visiting in 1861 her brother-in-law Joseph Chambers home in New Cumnock where the family is
Joseph Chambers38
Elisabeth Chambers 33
children
Helen 1851
Janet 1856
Nicholas 1858
Joseph jun b 1861 

also
Mary Slop Sister-in-law

other research included
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/C/Chambers.htm has details going further back
for Joseph
Joseph   CHAMBERS   .   Annahilt   of Clintough; will dated 1767 & lodged 1778   IIW V4 p24
Joseph   CHAMBERS   .   Annahilt   of Clintough; will probated 1812   IIW V4 p24
Joseph   CHAMBERS   .   Annahilt   of Clintough; family burying ground in Loughaghery Presbyterian graveyard c, 1900   MIs
Joseph   CHAMBERS   .   Annahilt   son of Hugh Chambers; married Mary Harvey 11 Mar 1853 ; father of James b. 25 Nov 1867 & Robert b. 10 May 1871

two census substitutes give substance to Cluntagh townland
1. Tithes Applotment Books 1823-1837 based upon the work of the
Irish Genealogy Hub see http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/annahilt-parish.php#.WNaGsRicYwQ
The relevant original books are in the
Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) Belfast
Chambers, H.   Townland: Cluntagh Year: 1829
Chambers, J.   Townland: Cluntagh Year: 1829
Notes: John
Chambers, Saml.   Townland: Cluntagh Year: 1829

Ros Davies also gives
Clintagh Clintaugh Clintough    Annahilt       20: 30/54   see Cluntagh
2. Griffiths valuation there are 4  possible connections
Chambers   William   Magheraconluce   Annahilt   Down
Chambers   Samuel   Cluntagh   Annahilt   Down
Chambers   Joseph   Cluntagh   Annahilt   Down
Chambers   Hugh      Cluntagh   Annahilt   Down 

her townland map shows Magheraconluce sits on the nw boundary of  Cluntagh so close as likely relatives at some time

Loughaghery Presbyterian graveyard is covered by Ros Davies who offers a free gravestone look up  but I notice there isn’t a burial book
Loughaghery Presbyterian Church in Cluntagh/ Cargygray townland- just south of Loughaghrey Road,Hillsborough Co. Down BT26 6DB; phone is listed
Baptisms from 1801 , marriages from 1830, graveyard attached, gravestone inscriptions UHF Vol 18; oldest stone 1807; email me Ros Davies for a gravestone look-upPRONI online church guide gives moreP. Loughaghery
Baptisms, 1801-1939; marriages, 1801-1955; marriage notices, 1889-1901; burials, 1868-1917; session minutes, 1801-96; committee minutes, 1909-35; weekly collection and other accounts, 1801-45; sacrament accounts, 1806-59; lists of communicants, 1824-60; transfer certificates, 1808-42. plus microfiche numbers etc 

did you try Gretna Green records
Genes Reunited gives an Elizabeth Sloss b 1824 ireland in a tree
Genes Reunited gives a Joseph CHAMBERS b 1821 being a married man but living as Foundry labourer in digs b ireland in Rose Street Front, Govan Lanarkshire

in the 1861 census
a George was 12r old House boy in 1861 census in Old Cumnock for the big farmer John Craig  No mention of other chambers 

then I stumbled uponthe start of this note
Good luck onwards
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline hrudachyk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 March 17 20:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all of this wonderful information. I will have to do some more digging based on your help.

I have found that when researching Joseph that he has a tendency to go by Chambers, but his family (his children, particularly George) go by Chalmers.

Once again thank you so much for your time and research this family has been difficult to find,

Hannah.