Author Topic: Duplicate entries on Ancestry  (Read 1244 times)

Offline ukmusic

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Duplicate entries on Ancestry
« on: Saturday 25 March 17 09:10 GMT (UK) »
I have somehow managed to duplicate a line on my Ancestry tree. I've dealt with most of it but 2 entries are left and I'm not certain if I should just delete these or merge them. If I merge the two Amos Freed entries will that restore the tree? The fact sources are the same for both. The rogue entries are ringed in red, the correct pair are to the right, ticked green. I expect this is a ridiculously simple task but I'll be grateful for guidance please. Thank you. :)
FREED, Kent  *  WHITE, Kent  *  TURNER, Kent  *  PINK, Kent  *  THOMSIT, Kent  *  WARD, Kent  *  TANTON, Kent  *  FINCH, Kent  *  COUSINS, Kent  *  FRY, Kent  *  BLACKSTONE, Kent

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Duplicate entries on Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 March 17 10:07 GMT (UK) »
The short answer is Yes, it will restore the tree.

I have done this myself in the past; merged the entries together; and then carried on.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ukmusic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 March 17 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I thought it probably would solve the problem but needed confirmation. Thanks again :)
FREED, Kent  *  WHITE, Kent  *  TURNER, Kent  *  PINK, Kent  *  THOMSIT, Kent  *  WARD, Kent  *  TANTON, Kent  *  FINCH, Kent  *  COUSINS, Kent  *  FRY, Kent  *  BLACKSTONE, Kent

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 March 17 12:03 BST (UK) »
I may be wrong but I don't think Ancestry automatically checks for duplicated records/media during the merge. As I remember, records and media for both duplicates are included in the 'merged' person. After merging, you might want to check that you don't have multiple copies of the same records/media attached to the merged person. 

Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 March 17 13:14 BST (UK) »
Yes it does! ;D

Ancestry asks you to mark all the Primary Data; what's left will be marked as an Alternate Source.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 March 17 16:04 BST (UK) »
Yes it does! ;D

Ancestry asks you to mark all the Primary Data; what's left will be marked as an Alternate Source.

I stand corrected! Good to know.
Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.