Author Topic: Where can I find court martial information from 1911?  (Read 417 times)

Offline js

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Where can I find court martial information from 1911?
« on: Saturday 25 March 17 12:28 GMT (UK) »
On Fold3 I have found:

UK, Naval and Military Court Martials, Reg 1806 -1930

James E Ousley
 Court trial 12 February 1911
 Aldershot
 Royal Fusiliers
 W0 86/59

I believe this is "my" James Ouseley,  Is the only way I can find out about why he was court martialled (I know it was desertion but nothing else) by visiting the National Archives at Kew or paying someone to do it for me?  Or is there another way?  I have checked Find My Past newspapers and not found anything.

Many thanks.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I find court martial information from 1911?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 17:11 BST (UK) »
The document you have found is simply a register with columns for:  Name, unit, where, date, charge, sentence and follow up remarks.  The only significant column headings you don't have already is the sentence and any follow-up remarks. And yes, you, or someone has to visit Kew unless you get Kew to copy the register entry or buy a sub for Fold3*.

There are other National Archive documents that may help, simpler to give you the link to their guide:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/courts-martial-desertion-british-army-17th-20th-centuries/ 

All that said, my understanding is that the information that survives is limited to the bare facts as listed in the registers.  Not an easy task to get beyond the bare bones, particularly as his service record, which may have had more detail, does not seem to have survived.

* That is not an endorsement of Fold3!

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline js

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I find court martial information from 1911?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 08:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Max.  I replied yesterday but from my phone and it doesn't seem to have gone through. 

I did take up the free week for Fold 3.  He was sentenced to 56 days, from memory, with no remarks. 

Good to know that I'm unlikely to find anything before I waste too much time persuing it!