Author Topic: Missing a couple of words from 1568 Will  (Read 604 times)

Offline en2gen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing a couple of words from 1568 Will
« on: Saturday 25 March 17 15:23 GMT (UK) »
May I ask help to decipher a couple of words from this 1568 will of Robert Merye of Bridlington?

The first is in the margin and in Latin. After his name is a word I can't decipher. I am hoping it will relate to his occupation or status.

The other is about 1/3 of the way into the will after he gives to his daughter Agnes and before he mentions his son Thomas.

Here's what I have:

"I gyve my tytle intreste and possession of the kilne laithe and ________ to Thomas Merye my sonne"

Thank you,

Louise in California

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing a couple of words from 1568 Will
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 March 17 15:36 GMT (UK) »
It spells out as: hashokesycke

I'm fairly certain the sixth letter is a k.  If not:  hasholesycke

The Latin word is p(ar)oche = parish

p(ar)oche de bridlington = parish of bridlington

Offline en2gen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 March 17 15:42 GMT (UK) »
You know....that hashokesycke word is the same translation as someone else made for me. What in the world can that mean. It is a "kilne and laithe" right? That sounds to me as though he could have been a woodworker, or do you have any other ideas?

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 March 17 15:49 GMT (UK) »
possibly a variant of hook scythe or hook sickle?  But I'm not sure how a farm implement would relate to a kiln and lathe?

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 March 17 15:50 GMT (UK) »
The k on kilne isn't completely clear but I'm fairly confident that's what it is.

The laithe is clear.  Merely as a thought to consider, I wonder whether it might mean a potter's wheel rather than a wood-turner's lathe.

It's Yorkshire, so you have dialect to consider, and then there's all the specialized occupational language.  Household items can be bad enough.

Offline en2gen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 March 17 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I did think of a potter. However, knowing the family as I do I thought it would more likely be woodworking. In the Bridlington cluster I have found some who were seafarers, one shoemaker (which really peaked my interest since I am trying to trace the ancestors of my 4th g grandfather who was a bootmaker in 1770's) and the rest were yeoman farmers or husbandmen.

Thanks for all your help in translation of this and other submissions. I have more coming but will try to take a stab at them myself before uploading more. So appreciated!!

LL

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 March 17 15:58 GMT (UK) »
In northern English dialect, including Yorkshire, a laithe is a barn. (It's usually spelt that way, probably to distinguish it from a woodworker's lathe, but most dialect words come from a time when few could write, and when they are found, the spelling can vary wildly.)

A sike or syke is a stream or a patch of boggy ground, and this might be part of the mystery word.

Added: Joseph Wright's dialect dictionary is useful for this kind of thing. I think there may be more than one place to find it online, but I use http://www.rootschat.com/links/01j6q/
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline en2gen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 March 17 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Ah now....that is starting to make more sense. My grandad used to speak Yorkshire to me and it was unintelligible to me! LOL! Thanks for that. I'll be ol' Robert was a farmer and never worked a lathe in his life, ha ha!

Thanks for the link, too!