Author Topic: support for Windows XP, 7, Vista ending soon: alternatives ?  (Read 2019 times)

Offline Triboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
support for Windows XP, 7, Vista ending soon: alternatives ?
« on: Saturday 25 March 17 17:31 GMT (UK) »
With Microsoft not now supporting XP and withdrawing support for Vista very shortly I have something of a problem. I am told it is possible to upgrade to Windows 10 but am not sure that the machine will cope. Support for Windows 7 is also likely to be withdrawn shortly.Does anyone have any experience of Linux? Are there any other operating systems which can be used? Any suggestions gratefully received.

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: support for Windows XP, 7, Vista ending soon: alternatives ?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 March 17 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Security upgrades for Windows 7 continue until January 14th 2020.
Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,
Cavanagh - Galway, Southland New Zealand
Anthony - Tipperary, Southland New Zealand
Bath - Cornwall, Tasmania, Southland
Brungot - Alesund, Norway; Southland
Bonthron - Fifeshire, Southland

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 March 17 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Support may finish, but you can still continue to use XP, Vista and Windows 7?! ;D

So, no need to panic.
I believe most ATM machines still run on XP :-\
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 March 17 21:13 GMT (UK) »

Everybody has their own opinions when it comes to operating systems Triboy, so you'll probably get a confusingly large number of suggestions.

In terms of Windows 10 I have done an upgrage from Win8 to 10 and set up a brand new Win10 machine. I would say (my personal opinion and one I'm not going to argue with anybody about  ;) ) that even on the brand new machine Win10 was frustratingly slow. My assumption would be that hardware that came with XP or Vista installed will be more or less unusable with the demands of Win10.

Therefore if you wish to stick with Windows then buying new hardware with Win10 already installed is probably going to be the best bet - the money spent buying an upgrade to Win10 is almost certainly better used on new hardware.

Whilst I'm mainly a Windows user, I have regularly used Linux on older hardware - mainly for internet browsing, occasionally for tasks like hard disk recovery that Windows doesn't do as well.

The main thing with Linux is not to be put off by all the different names and versions. You can safely ignore 99.9% of them if you want. However, because most versions are available without any cost it is certainly worth trying a few different ones to see which you are most comfortable using.

Most of my early experience was with Puppy Linux - it is great for beginners, friendly and is available in versions which are tiny in terms of disk space and memory requirements.

More recently I've started using Lubuntu, which is a version based on Ubuntu. Ubuntu appears to me to be emerging as the most popular version of Linux - though again that is my personal opinion  :)  Lubuntu is a 'lightweight' version of Ubuntu which has been optimised to work on older or lower spec equipment. I'm quite happy with it so far. It is running on an old laptop which came with Vista but became unusable due to overheating. Vista was making the processor work so hard the cooling system couldn't cope and the laptop powered down as a protection. No such problems with Lubuntu.

Some versions of Linux (including Puppy and Lubuntu) can be set up to boot from a CD or USB stick. If you want to try Linux before you decide what to do then just download whichever version you like the sound of, create a CD/USB and boot your machine from that. There is no need to do anything which will harm or remove your existing Windows installation if you just want to trial Linux (but might be an idea to do a backup just in case!).

It is also possible to install Linux on the same hard disk as many (all?) Windows versions with built in software that allows you to choose whether to run Linux or Windows when you boot. that way you can keep your existing version of Windows as a 'just in case I need it' whilst you use Linux for your day-to-day activities.

The only negative side of Linux for me is that you cannot simply install and run windows programmes on it. There are methods that allow you to run many windows programmes, and there are many very good alternatives (e.g. LibreOffice). But you need to find out if you are prepared to go without a favourite windows programme if it cannot be made to work under Linux.

In terms of ease of use and user experience, many Linux versions are very similar to Windows. If you are currently using XP or Vista then the learning needed to use something like Lubuntu is roughly the same as that required to start using Windows 10.

Hope that helps.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 March 17 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Totally agree with Nick_

I run 2x old laptops Ubuntu and Mint

Go to that big paper shop in the high street, go to mag rack, buy a Unix mag with a disc on the front.
Disc is bound to have at least one Unix-based opsys on it.
Try it ( run it from the supplied disc ).

ALL FREE ( + mag cost ).

What's not to like about that?

When you are happy, buy a 2nd-hand HDD (120/160gb £10/free), replacing the one in your laptop with a larger one. Install your choice of opsys and load it.

The new opsys will not have the bloated winsystem on it so runs naturally faster.

Enjoy

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 March 17 22:46 GMT (UK) »

An advert on the Freecycle website has just reminded me of something else...

Lots of people are finding their additional hardware including printers and scanners will not work with Windows 10 due to a lack of driver support. If you have an older printer or scanner you should also check to see if these are compatible with Windows 10, or factor the cost of a new printer/scanner into your overall decision.

If your printer and/or scanner is not Windows 10 compatible but you decide to go with Windows 10 then the good news is its very easy to dispose of them via Freecycle. Luddites like me may never need to buy a printer again.  ;D

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 March 17 00:42 GMT (UK) »
I have little experience with anything but Windows and IOS (Apple). I just want to add one point to those already made.

Unless we mostly work offline, our apps are increasingly connected with the internet. Apps and internet technology continue to become more sophisticated. These days, websites are much more media-rich and interactive than they were back in the days of Windows XP. Desktop apps too. Hardware that was OK in those days can often struggle to cope with current apps and websites. So before switching from XP/Vista to something else on your current set-up, it's worth comparing your current specs. (processor, memory, disks, etc.) with what's on the market now. For the longer term, it may be wiser to upgrade to a newer PC/Laptop with W10 pre-installed.

Having said that, a friend of mine has 2 PC's: an old one for dedicated off-line (translation) work on XP and a newer one (with Windows 10) for general purpose stuff like internet, e-mails, etc.
Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 March 17 07:38 BST (UK) »
Great advice all and couldn't agree more with Nick, we have loads of computers running here ( with an IT son) and various operating systems. In fact he just bought a reconditioned laptop specifically with Windows 7, but he prefers and has set up Linux on a number of machines, mine has Ubuntu. We also have a laptop that automatically starts with Windows, but with a usb can start in Linux.
As John mentioned, Windows 7 will still be supported for some time yet.
I feel so fortunate to have live in tech support, but really, very impressed with Linux

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 March 17 10:55 BST (UK) »

Although Windows 7 support by Microsoft is ongoing for the time being, one of the issues is support by other software providers. For example many XP and Vista diehards may finally have to look at upgrade options when support for web browsers (e.g. Firefox) is no longer available (later this year!).

The problem is not so much whether XP/Vista actually still works, it is whether third parties will allow you to use it. For example many banks specify in their T&C's that you have to use recent versions of operating system and browser. One bank I use (which prides itself on its ethical credentials, but isn't the Co-op) does not support use of its online banking with Linux operating systems (but accepts the use of Linux based Android phones for mobile banking  ??? ) It refuses to say if a Linux user will have the same level of financial indemnity as a Windows user if there are problems with online banking. So this 'ethical' bank will be requiring its customers to shell out on new hardware and software to continue having the facility to bank online, whilst blacklisting Linux which is available for free and can be installed on hardware people are chucking in skips. I suggested to them that supporting and promoting Linux could be the best thing they have ever done in terms of enabling elderly/vulnerable/disadvantaged people to get online, but just got a corporate fob off in response. (Rant over!)

So although Windows 7 might be supported until 2020, don't bank on all the other software you use (including anti-virus etc) still working with it until then.

I'd also endorse the suggestions of maddys52 and Mike's friend. If you have the space for it then running more than one computer system is a great idea. I run Windows XP on what I consider to be my main PC, because WinXP is stable, reliable, and doesn't place too much demand on the computer which allows the applications to run quickly. But that machine has no connection to the internet so in that case the phrase "Windows XP is not safe anymore" simply isn't true. Anything I do on the internet is on an entirely different machine, and anything transferred between the two is always virus checked. My family history data, photos, banking data etc will never be placed at risk of ransomware, or sneaky websites rummaging around on my hard disk. This approach isn't without some inconvenience, but for me the inconvenience is a price worth paying for data security. On the plus side from a family history perspective, it means I also have two screens side-by-side which makes transcribing a doddle  :)