Author Topic: support for Windows XP, 7, Vista ending soon: alternatives ?  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: support for Windows XP, 7, Vista ending soon: alternatives ?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 09:57 BST (UK) »

Lol, that is funny and I'd never heard it before even if it is an old one  :)

But you missed one out... the much beloved Windows ME.  And I use 'beloved' in a very loose way  ;D

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 10:38 BST (UK) »

But you missed one out... the much beloved Windows ME.  And I use 'beloved' in a very loose way  ;D

Also Windows CE, which was 'designed for including or embedding in mobile and other space-constrained devices'.

When MS were having lots of problems with Windows continually crashing some wag suggested they should combine three of their operating systems to make one with rock-solid performance - Windows CE-ME-NT . . . . .

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 10:44 BST (UK) »
We have a sony laptop running on vista and took it away on holiday last week to watch dvds, and a series bought from amazon video. Sadly the amazon video needed a later version of windows and i had problems installing both chrome and firefox (both came up with certificate errors) so we were unable to watch the series  :'(

Don't use the laptop much now as we have a w10 desktop and tablets, but not sure it is worth upgrading. Seems a shame though as it was quite an expensive laptop when we bought it.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 02:27 BST (UK) »

Also Windows CE, which was 'designed for including or embedding in mobile and other space-constrained devices'.

When MS were having lots of problems with Windows continually crashing some wag suggested they should combine three of their operating systems to make one with rock-solid performance - Windows CE-ME-NT . . . . .

;D ;D ;D I'll tell that to my son!