Author Topic: Bear Inn, Castle Street, Reading  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Andrew RM Hayes

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bear Inn, Castle Street, Reading
« on: Saturday 25 March 17 18:39 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out more about this inn, owned by my x10 grandfather Richard Dicke of Limpley Stoke, Wiltshire. Mentioned in his 1641 Wiltshire IPM;  "one inn in Reading called the Beare."  His 1639 PCC will left his lands and tenements at Reading to his son John Dicke, who lived in nearby Winsley. He in turn bequeathed his tenement known as the Beare in Castle Street, Reading, to his nephew another John Dicke in his 1663 PCC will. Otherwise there is no discernible Berkshire connection, all of his family seem to have lived in the hundred of Bradford on Avon, on the Somerset border near Bath, from at least the 1580s. Any information, or suggestions, would be gratefully received.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Bear Inn, Castle Street, Reading
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 March 17 00:08 GMT (UK) »
"the Beare" is mentioned (in 1695) in this (on google books), I take it that the footnote relates to the Beare ("at the bottom of the yard now forming part of the brewery of Messers Tanner, Rickford and Hume")
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jsr/

Welcome to rootschat btw!

Offline Andrew RM Hayes

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bear Inn, Castle Street, Reading
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 March 17 17:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your prompt reply.
I think that my cousin had probably disposed of the Bear by 1695, but your reference helps put it into context.
I am puzzled as to how a Wiltshire man had acquired this property, both of my 10x great grandfather's wives were also from Wiltshire families around Trowbridge.