Author Topic: COMPLETE Transcription of 1623 original will  (Read 986 times)

Offline en2gen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETE Transcription of 1623 original will
« on: Sunday 26 March 17 03:39 BST (UK) »
This is an interesting will as it appears to be a photograph of the original which I have not seen previously. I have taken a stab at transcription, but it opens and ends with Latin and I have many blanks I couldn't decipher. Appreciate all your help. Here's what I have:

LWT of Francis Merry of Sherburn 1623

In the name of God Amen _____________(first 3 lines in Latin then ) I Francis Merry of Sherburn ________countie of Yorke  being __________making ______of a good and full remembrance _______be to God _______ubt _______of my life I do make ____________my last will & testament in manner and form following/ First __________mercy of Almighty God ________commission of all my offenses ___________my soule __________in full ___________of the __________of Jesus Christ to be ________and my bodie to  be buried in the churchyard of Sherburn _______I give and bequeath unto my __________________ I give and bequeath until by _________twentie shillings __________I give and bequeath unto the poore of Sheburn five shillings ______my goods my debts paid and my funeral expenses __________I do give ________my wife whom I do make sole executrix of this my last will and testament _______________________(ends with a couple of sentences in Latin).

Louise in California

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Transcription of 1623 original will
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 March 17 04:29 BST (UK) »
I have made a start on the English.  The Latin at the beginning just establishes the date - 9 November 1623.

I will do more as I have time during the day.

Louise, it would be helpful to us if you would organise your transcript so that it follows the line breaks of the original.

It makes it much easier to find the right place in the text.

...w(i)thin the dioces and Countie...

...being at the makeing hereof of good
and p(er)fect remembrance thaunkes be to god Considering ^w(i)th^ my self the uncertainty of my
life I do make and ordaine this my last...

...ffirst I humblie Crave at the mercy of Almightie god the Remission of all my offences...

Offline en2gen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 March 17 04:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you! I will try to remember to organize as you suggest. I'm pretty new to this, sorry!

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 March 17 05:13 BST (UK) »
I have completed the English text.  It was easier for me to just do the whole.

...I do give and assigne my soule into the mercifull tuic(i)on of the individuable trinitie
Confidentlie trusting in the merittes of Jesus christ to be saved and my bodie to be
buried in the Churchyeard of Shereburne aforesaid Item I give and bequeath unto
my mother an oxgange of Corne Sowne upon the ground readie to be ledd home
Item I give unto my father twentie shillinges Item I give unto the poore of
Shereburne sixe shillinges All the rest of my goodes my debtes paied and my fun(er)all
expences discharged I do give unto Isabell my wife whom I do make sole Executrix
of this my last will and testam(en)t In witnes whereof I have sett my m(ar)ke the daie
and yeare above written in the heareing of these witnesses Willm [Copip(er)?] Thomas
dringe Richard
[Rest is in Latin]

oxgange = oxgang - a measurement of land

PS:  No apology needed, Louise.

Offline en2gen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 March 17 05:37 BST (UK) »
Wow! I was just off to bed....now I will have to stay up a little longer to see how this Francis fits in (with all the others ones I have)! Think I'm going to have to look at some nearby parishes to see if there is any sign of Francis and his parents/wife there, as I don't have a likely one in Sherburn.

Odd, isn't it to name his mother and father in the will, (and to give his mother land and his father 20 shillings) so he must have died at a relatively young age, yet had his own resources. I thought it said "mother" and "father" but figured I was seeing things.  And he had enough resources to also give to the "poore of Sherbourne".

Do you think that is "indivisible" trinity?

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 March 17 06:37 BST (UK) »
Do you think that is "indivisible" trinity?

It's a synonym for indivisible, yes.  Basically, it is describing a thing which cannot be divided.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 March 17 11:44 BST (UK) »
As HD has said, the Latin at the start is just the date, given in both regnal and calendar form.

The Latin at the end is just the probate clause ...

Et eisdem die et Anno Dictus Decanus de Buckrose cert(ificavit) de
probac(i)one hui(usm)o(d)i test(ament)i per testes no(m)i(n)atos iuratos Commissaque fuit ad(ministraci)o bonor(um) eiusdem
def(unc)ti Isabelle Merry vidue et relict(e) eiusdem def(unc)ti ac soli Execut(rici) in eodem
testamento no(m)i(n)ate prius iurat(e) Salvo iure Cuiuscumque &c.

And on the same day and year the said Dean of Buckrose certified concerning the probate of this will by the witnesses named (and) sworn, and administration of the goods of the same deceased was granted to Isabell Merry, the widow and relict of the same deceased and the sole executor named in the will, she first having been sworn, saving the right of anyone else etc.

Offline en2gen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
COMPLETE Transcription of 1623 original will
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 March 17 17:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that Latin translation. Do I read the date the will was written as 9 November? I think I have found this couple marrying in Brompton (he from Snainton) 22 Jun 1622. She is Isabell Merry in the marriage, so either Francis married his cousin or she was a widow...perhaps of his brother. More searching needed, but this is just what I needed to show links between these families and those further west. Many thanks to you both!

LL

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETE Transcription of 1623 original will
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 March 17 17:49 BST (UK) »
Do I read the date the will was written as 9 November?

On the third line:  ...Annoque d(omi)ni Mill(esi)mo sexce(ntesi)mo vicesimo tertio Nono die Novembris...

In the year of our Lord one thousand six hundred and twenty three the ninth day of November