Author Topic: Non-registry Brisbane birth records for 1860s, Annie Mary Hill  (Read 1052 times)

Offline msdorney

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Non-registry Brisbane birth records for 1860s, Annie Mary Hill
« on: Sunday 26 March 17 04:39 BST (UK) »
Does anybody have experience with non-registry birth records for Queensland?

I have an ancestor, Annie Mary Hill, born ca 1865, with her birthplace given variously as Queensland, Brisbane or Breakfast Creek. Age estimates point consistently to about 1865.

Her parents aren't given on her marriage certificate nor her death certificate. She married in Sydney in 1889 where she was working as a servant. The witnesses were her parents-in-law, so no clues there. She was a spinster, so Hill is her birth name

I'm hoping there may an index of (non-Catholic) baptisms I can look at. I live in Brisbane, and can get to the State Library or to a diocesan office if someone can lead me to hope that might be a fruitful course.

(I should note there is one possible weak match in the registry index, but I'm pretty sure I've tracked that person through to marriage, although I need a certificate to definitively rule them out).

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Non-registry Brisbane birth records for 1860s, Annie Mary Hill
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 March 17 05:23 BST (UK) »
Her parents aren't given on her marriage certificate nor her death certificate. She married in Sydney in 1889 where she was working as a servant. The witnesses were her parents-in-law, so no clues there. She was a spinster, so Hill is her birth name

I suggest you read this link

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,546609.0.html

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline msdorney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 March 17 06:18 BST (UK) »
Wow, now that is a good link.

They were married in a Congregationalist ceremony, which may or may not increase the difficulty, but at least I've got somewhere to start.

Thank you!

(Still interested in hearing about QLD resources, if anyone else is reading)

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 02:38 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, I can't help with your specific question but am eagerly awaiting an answer re Qld resources. I have an in-law rellie where both the SA marriage and death registrations say he was born in Charters Towers. It would have been around 1885. I have the father's name from the marriage. There were 2-3 candidates in the QLD BDM online listings (same name, same father, all country registrations, roughly same date), but none were born in Charters Towers according to Qld BDM when I asked them to check before I ordered a certificate. So back to square one.
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 02:41 BST (UK) »
Queensland Resources ....

perhaps try the ones on the Qld sub-board via :

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/australia-resources-offers/

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 03:09 BST (UK) »
A passing thought csdaly .... although your ancestor claimed to have been born in Charters Towers, it is possible that they either did not know exactly where they were born (and perhaps gave Charters Towers as their birth place as they lived there when they were a child and they assumed they were born there).

Another possibility is that they were born in a small place near Charters Towers but said that they were born in Charters Towers as that was the nearest large town and somewhere that people were more likely to recognise.

I know that doesn't help you to find your ancestor's birth but maybe you should not necessarily dismiss a birth based solely on location.

Did your ancestor have any siblings whose births you have found? 

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 04:01 BST (UK) »
Ruskie, thanks for thoughts. Always useful to bounce ideas off others!

although your ancestor claimed to have been born in Charters Towers, it is possible that they either did not know exactly where they were born (and perhaps gave Charters Towers as their birth place as they lived there when they were a child and they assumed they were born there).
Yes, thanks it is a possibility. I've found a few in SA like that (eg service enlistments recording a place nearby but not the same as on the birth registration).

Another possibility is that they were born in a small place near Charters Towers but said that they were born in Charters Towers as that was the nearest large town and somewhere that people were more likely to recognise.
I'm hoping QLD BDM took that into account when they looked at my candidate list. It would help if QLD BDM published the registration district, rather than just "country" event vs "Brisbane" event.

I know that doesn't help you to find your ancestor's birth but maybe you should not necessarily dismiss a birth based solely on location.
Unfortunately, with a name like John NOLAN, and father John NOLAN, I could never be 100% sure, even if I spent $60 on three possible certificates.

Did your ancestor have any siblings whose births you have found?
None that I've found. It's possible he wasn't in contact after leaving QLD.
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 07:38 BST (UK) »

Where you have Queensland, Brisbane and Breakfast Creek as birthplace for your Annie Mary HILL, can you please identify the circumstance of each record, and the author. Where do you see these place names recorded, and who is giving this information?

Where did Annie Mary HILL marry ie a church...denomination......suburb.

3181/1889  HILL Annie M   m.  HILLIER James W   @ Waterloo

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 08:11 BST (UK) »
This is the death of your Annie Mary HILLIER nee HILL?

BDM WA  death
HILLIER Annie M   Perth  2324  1950

West Australian 5 Oct 1950 p29
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/47890395?searchTerm=%22Hillier%
.......death notice.

Daily News 4 Oct 1950  p5
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/84479843?
funeral notice for Annie HILLIER

Can you please list all the information on the death certificate.