Author Topic: Mary Ann Downing birth act Nov 1870 Liverpool  (Read 1341 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Downing birth act Nov 1870 Liverpool
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 March 17 12:02 BST (UK) »
Yes,a bit strange.

A possible for Maurice in 1871 - RG10/3845 folio 20 page 35
7 Alice Street, West Derby
Morris Savage, aged 1 - nephew

But I can't make out who he belongs to, there are a number of "relations" in the household.  I can't readily see him on either 1881 or 1891 census.

I think he is the son of the Mary Savage, who in turn is sister of Alfred McDonold. There is a possible Mary McDonald to Morris Savage marriage in West Derby in 1866.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 March 17 12:06 BST (UK) »
RodEast, do you now think the census details you originally posted could have been for wrong Mary Ann?

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline RodEast

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 March 17 12:27 BST (UK) »
Following your help and the birth dates from the 1939 census there are two births:
Maurice Savage 3rd qtr 1870 Liverpool
Mary Ann Dowling 3rd qtr 1872 Liverpool
and thus it appears that my original thoughts were wrong.
I will order these certificates tomorrow and hopefully they will tie in with the marriage certificate data.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 26 March 17 12:47 BST (UK) »
The marriage between Morris Savage and Mary M McDonald took place at St Thomas, Toxteth Park - LancashireBMD.  Images not available on Ancestry for this parish, nor is there an entry on FreeREG.  Perhaps someone has access to the parish registers  :-\

Added:

They were married by Licence, image available on FindMyPast of the Allegation - Morris is aged 21 and over of Grafton Street, Toxteth Park and is a Mariner.  Mary McDonald is also of Grafton Street, Toxteth Park and is a spinster aged 21 and over.  For some reason the entry in the register of Marriage Licences says that Morris is from Walton.

Forgot - the date of the Licence is 17 December 1866, and the register says 18 December, so that might be the actual date of marriage.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 26 March 17 20:13 BST (UK) »

Added:

They were married by Licence, image available on FindMyPast of the Allegation - Morris is aged 21 and over of Grafton Street, Toxteth Park and is a Mariner.  Mary McDonald is also of Grafton Street, Toxteth Park and is a spinster aged 21 and over.  For some reason the entry in the register of Marriage Licences says that Morris is from Walton.

so, this fits with the sailor, born Middlesex, per the 1891 census, except that one is younger, so more likely the son, yet we know he was born in Liverpool.

Offline RodEast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 26 March 17 21:38 BST (UK) »
Mary McDonald (1845) was the daughter of James McDonald (1806) and Mary Smith (1811) identified by the fact that her and her brother Alfred John appear together on the 1851 census in Toxteth Park Extra Parochial.
Still no luck with Maurice Senior although I assume in 1871 he was at sea at the time of the census.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 26 March 17 22:03 BST (UK) »
There was a c1833/1836 Canadian born Morris Savage listed in British Merchant Seamen records 1853-1857.

Similarly, an 1870 Liverpool born Maurice Savage listed in Merchant Navy crew lists for 1894.

Offline RodEast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 26 March 17 22:23 BST (UK) »
The Maurice Savage I refer to was born before 1845 and was listed as a mariner on his marriage in 1866

Offline RodEast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 10 April 17 16:01 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all who have helped me.  I now have the birth certificate for Mary Ann Dowling born 29th August 1872  at 25 St Clement Street, Birkenhead.  Her father is John Dowling, Labourer, signed with X and her mother is given as Elizabeth Dowling formerly Foster.  This is where I need some more of your good advice as I can't find the marriage of John and Elizabeth nor can I find either of them on the census.  Clearly my skills are not good enough.
Any further help much appreciated
RodEast