Author Topic: Cecil Frances Pybus  (Read 576 times)

Offline kindfree63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cecil Frances Pybus
« on: Sunday 26 March 17 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hello All
The Australian Army is trying to find living relatives of 250 Australian Soldiers whose remains were buried in a mass grave at Fromelles in France.   To achieve this the Army has contacted Family History Groups in Australia and given them the names of soldiers to trace their families.  I'm trying to trace the male relatives of Arthur Coventry Leroux Pybus (the soldier who was killed) and have traced all of his male relatives except for Cecil Frances Pybus - his uncle.   Cecil was born about 1870 in The Strand, London to John Pybus and Charlotte Coventry.  I can trace him up until 1901, when he is living with his mother in Chelsea, London but he just disappears after that.  There is a suggestion of him arriving in Australia in 1907 but there are no further records.  No marriage, death or electoral certificates for England or Australia.   Does anyone have any ideas?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Cecil Frances Pybus
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 March 17 11:59 BST (UK) »

Offline kindfree63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 March 17 12:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Rosie99 for the 1902 info.  I missed that somehow!   I knew about the New Zealand possibility - and other relatives of Cecil had moved there - but can't find him there in any other records.   Mind you, N Zealand records aren't great.  Cecil was listed in 1901 as being a Publisher of books.   Would there be any historical records for that profession?  I'm beginning to think that he did leave England and that he just moved to somewhere that didn't keep very good records.   Just seems strange not to have a death notice anywhere!

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 March 17 12:51 BST (UK) »
https://britishbirds.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/article_files/V04/V04_N06/V04_N06_P178_193_N025.pdf
 - a single reference to a C. F. Pybus possibly in Boulogne in 1910.

http://www.archivespasdecalais.fr/Archives-en-ligne/Etat-civil/Tables-decennales
 - indexes online show two children, b. 1915 and 1916 in Boulogne, named Pybus - I won't name them here until I can find deaths as they might just about be alive but there is a son and a daughter.
 - also a death for Cecil Francis, 2 Mai 1926

Offline kindfree63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 March 17 07:05 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness, Jorose, I am so impressed!   How on earth did you find those references?!  Thank you so much for looking and, yes, I understand about not naming people who are possibly living.  That possible death date would fit, as it would put him around 56 years old and, although that is young, almost all of his siblings died in their fifties.   I don't know why.   The son is the one I am interested in, to see if he also had a son so that the Australian Army can ask them for a swab to compare Y chromosomes.  Of course we need to do this with total confidentiality and I am not sure how we could do that (and then there is the French component!).   Would you be prepared to just let me know if there is a living male down the direct male line and then perhaps we can work it out from there?  Is that okay?  I'm excited after having being stumped for so long!