Author Topic: Mary Ann Jones?  (Read 2597 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Mary Ann Jones?
« on: Sunday 26 March 17 18:16 BST (UK) »
Catherine Jones is given as born in Llangollen in c 1863 and living with Mother Mary Ann Jones and sister M? in Trever Ucha Denbighshire in the 1871 Census.The status of this Mary Ann is a little puzzling as she may be given as unmarried in the 1871 Census?However where Catherine is given as born in 1864 in the 1891 Census it appears she is given as a Widow?

In any event she is given as born in c 1835 in Llansantfraidd Merioneth in the 1871 Census.Returning to the 1891 Census I'm very much interested in the  Grandaughter of Mary Ann's given as Alice Jones Jones.She was in fact born as an Alice Rory Jones.I presume that Catherine is her Mother?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Jones?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 March 17 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi the Alice Rory Jones b 1884 I believe has been mistranscribed and should be this baptism, or then again, maybe the baptism has been mistranscribed:-

Alice ROSY Jones born 18th May 1884 baptism 18th April 1885 Llangollen Father Saphy? occ Cabinet Maker Mother Catherine address Mill Street ( The Street where in 1871/1881/1891 the Jones family were living)

The sister "M" is Minnie Morris Jones June qtr 1866 Corwen v11b page 454 No mothers maiden name shown.
Keyboard86

EDIT in 1881 census Mary Ann aged 50 is Single
Census Ref RG11/5540/83/12

Also note that Alice Rory Jones married a Samuel Jones 1907 Wrexham.
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 March 17 23:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks,yes Alice did marry Samuel in 1907.I met with a descendant of the couple earlier today.Now Samuel's father was a Henry Jones born in 1850.In the 1871 Census he shows with a brother George born in 1865.

Going back to my contact,she was rather mournful when I seen her earlier today,thinking she had no living relatives.However within an hour of our meeting after reviewing all the Census entries I was talking to the Great-Grandson of the George Jones.This George's son George Millward Jones born in 1905 was to go on to marry my relative.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi still puzzling who is this SAPHY occ Cabinet Maker shown as father of Alice Rory and why is Alice, Jones Jones on census?

What happened to and why middle name Morris for Minnie Morris Jones b 1866 Corwen?
Keyboard86

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi still puzzling who is this SAPHY occ Cabinet Maker shown as father of Alice Rory and why is Alice Jones Jones on census?

What happened to and why middle name Morris for Minnie Morris Jones b 1866 Corwen?
Keyboard86

I'd agree it is puzzling though these may only be shall we say nominal details!The name Rory is a bit puzzling too.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 March 17 08:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks,yes Alice did marry Samuel in 1907.I met with a descendant of the couple earlier today.Now Samuel's father was a Henry Jones born in 1850.In the 1871 Census he shows with a brother George born in 1865.

Going back to my contact,she was rather mournful when I seen her earlier today,thinking she had no living relatives.However within an hour of our meeting after reviewing all the Census entries I was talking to the Great-Grandson of the George Jones.This George's son George Millward Jones born in 1905 was to go on to marry my relative.

Regards
William Russell Jones.

in that 1871 Census George is showing with a sister given as "Elmty" born in c 1869.This sister is only shown in the 1871 Census though clearly there is some doubt about her Christin name?One other loose end to tie up is that I can't find George in the 1881 Census?In the 1891 Census he has married a Phoebe(Davies).

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 March 17 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi again, this is the only 1871 census I can locate with what could be George b c 1865 and sister Elm** b 1869, No Henry though?

Sarah Jones 46 Widow
Elias 20
Hannah 10
George 6
Elmy 2
All born Ruabon
Residing at Jolly Bank, Coed Christionydd?
Census ref RG10/5652/108/24

If not this one, can you supply details of the one you have?
Keyboard86

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 March 17 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi again, this is the only 1871 census I can locate with what could be George b c 1865 and sister Elm** b 1869, No Henry though?

Sarah Jones 46 Widow
Elias 20
Hannah 10
George 6
Elmy 2
All born Ruabon
Residing at Jolly Bank, Coed Christionydd?
Census ref RG10/5652/108/24

If not this one, can you supply details of the one you have?
Keyboard86

Yes thats the one thanks.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 March 17 14:26 BST (UK) »
 ??? But Henry b c 1850 is shown as Elias?
Keyboard86