Author Topic: William Houlder (b.1790) of Southwark - Transportation Mystery - Seeking Opinion  (Read 2032 times)

Offline caitcarl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Houlder (b.1790) of Southwark - Transportation Mystery - Seeking Opinion
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 16:01 BST (UK) »
Also a little more on the 1844 embezzlement case.  Several articles have reported it under the name William Holder and described him as “a well dressed man, and said to be respectably connected”.  He had been employed by Flockton & Co, Tar & Turpentine distillers of Bermondsey for 12 months as a traveller & collector, and was supposed to hand over any money he had collected the following day, however, it was discovered that various sums had not been accounted for and had instead been ‘converted for his own purposes’.

Where were you able to find the articles?

And thank you for pointing out that William had more than one location 1820-24; I had found one of the records and must have gotten distracted. I'm learning to use ancestry.com better all the time when it comes to documents outside of the state, so I'm thankful for your guidance.

hanes teulu, thank you for pointing out articles; I have found the second one, and the actually document about the pardon.
Houlder - London area
Jennings - London area
Ellis - London area

Offline caitcarl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Houlder (b.1790) of Southwark - Transportation Mystery - Seeking Opinion
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 16:07 BST (UK) »
I was also able to find this; he would have been about 22 years old when admitted.
Houlder - London area
Jennings - London area
Ellis - London area

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 16:32 BST (UK) »
The articles are on the British Newspaper Archive, which can also be found on Find my Past.

He seems to have left quite a paper trail, which is always a bonus!  Presumably you've also seen his father's will?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 16:42 BST (UK) »
I was also able to find this; he would have been about 22 years old when admitted.

Nice find :)   In case you don't know, his indenture is on the next page. 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline caitcarl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 19:17 BST (UK) »
He seems to have left quite a paper trail, which is always a bonus!  Presumably you've also seen his father's will?

Thank you! I am thrilled with the papertrail.

The will was what started me being able to track him more easily, as it confirmed his original occupation. :)

I also wonder how often it was that fathers indentured their sons?
Houlder - London area
Jennings - London area
Ellis - London area