Author Topic: The Ferry family  (Read 3184 times)

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Ferry family
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 March 17 16:27 BST (UK) »
Online family tree at Ancestry maintained by a John Vester suggests that Ella was married to a John Boyle about 1855 in Ireland, and were in Felling, Co. Durham by the time of the 1861 Census. Some of her children were born in Heworth. In the 1861 census, she is living next door to Daniel, and I hadn't noticed that Hugh was also in the household with Daniel.

Daniel and Hugh in the 1861 census are aged 25 and 33 respectively, so born 1836 and 1828. Interestingly, Margaret is not noted in the 1861 census living with any of the children, so she may still be back in Ireland.

Offline Lumsdon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 March 17 16:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you Eileen. Yes I have been using this info. Margaret does not appear until 1871 where she is living in Heworth with her son James (my great grandfather). She is described as a  widow. Jamess says that his father is deceased on his wedding certificate. I fear that she died in gateshead Union workhouse where she is to be found in the1881 census aged 82. I have looked up the references to Loughall, Levalleglish and they may be useful. James named his eldest son Patrick and his two daughters Ellen and Mary. He married Sarah Duffy from Annaghmore in 1873 in England. Annaghmore is reasonably close to Loughall. I will keep looking and thanks again

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 March 17 17:45 BST (UK) »
An 88yr old James Ferry died in Armagh area in 1877, but unfortunately the record is not yet free to view online. Too late to be your James, if Margaret was widowed by 1871, but perhaps if nothing else, it could rule out the Levalleglish family if he was from there.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 March 17 18:02 BST (UK) »
Elleanor and John Boyle were married likely in Ireland given that the first two children were also born there, but I don't find a matching couple in the civil marriages where they should appear given they were likely married about 1855.

Offline Lumsdon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 March 17 18:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you scots mum for the note on James. i have found a James Ferrie in the 1828 Tithe Appointment book for Loughall. Interestingly the surname is spelt as Ferrie ( the more Scottish version) As far as I can tell James b1842 could not sign his name but when his grandchildren learned to read and write the spelling changed from Ferry, as recorded by the English census takers, to Ferrie-I presume that this is because they had Scottish origins. My father believed that they had immediate links to Oban.The family history is intriguing because they seem to have been descended from quite affluent if not wealthy family. My hypothesis is that they were descended from a  once wealthy Huguenot  who settled in Perth and married into Scottish families.At some point one of his descendants crossed over to N Ireland. Initially they would have been Presbyterians but converted to RC at some point.

Offline Lumsdon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 March 17 18:13 BST (UK) »
Yes Eileen I've had the same problem. I have found John Boyle from shank hill in Armagh who may be Ella 's husband. Without family knowledge these things are very difficult to corroborate.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 March 17 18:21 BST (UK) »
Online family tree at Ancestry managed by MargaretFerrie36 shows a death for James Ferry in 1871, aged about 50, in Dumfanaghy.  Her facts seem a bit mixed up, so take that with a grain of salt.

Offline Lumsdon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 March 17 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Eileen-I am Margaret Ferrie- I'm afraid my tree for James has become distorted because I cannot delete some incorrect info

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 27 March 17 18:37 BST (UK) »
Sorry about that ...