Author Topic: Lt.Col. GEORGE SCOTT  (Read 697 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lt.Col. GEORGE SCOTT
« on: Sunday 26 March 17 20:45 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate some assistance.

There is a waterfountain in Tunbridge Wells, Kent dedicated to the "Memory of Lt. Col. Gordon Scott AD 1890" which suggests to me he died in 1890. The fountain was installed in 1891.

Two brothers of George Scott's were living in Tunbridge Wells in 1891 namely Thomas Scott born October 23,1809 at Fulham, Middlesex and baptised April 17,1810 at Carey St, New Court, London, the son of James Scott and Martha Scott, nee Winter. The other son was Septimus Scott born September 19,1810 at Fulham and baptised same place as Thomas on March 14,1811 with the same parents.

The baptism records for George Scott has him born to the same parents as given above on March 2,1806 at Fulham and baptised June 20,1806 at the same place as his brothers.

The only other record I have for George Scott is the 1841 census taken at " Manor House,Shepperton, Middlesex. Living there is James Scott of independent means who must have been a widower at the time. Also there was his sons George, given as "army"; and the brothers Thomas and Septimus of the "Madras Civil Service"

I have all the information I need for Thomas and Septimus. I would like any information you can find about George and his parents. I suspect given his brother Septimus being with the Madras Civil Service that George may have served with the army in India but that is just a guess.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Lt.Col. GEORGE SCOTT
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 March 17 21:09 BST (UK) »
here is a waterfountain in Tunbridge Wells, Kent dedicated to the "Memory of Lt. Col. Gordon Scott AD 1890" which suggests to me he died in 1890. The fountain was installed in 1891.

Was he George or Gordon?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 March 17 21:20 BST (UK) »
Whilst googling I found your other thread about him from 2012

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=617105.0

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 March 17 22:49 BST (UK) »
Given the name Septimus there may well be many more brothers .....

Mention of the fountain in Kent and Sussex Courier, 9 Oct 1891, which doesn't seem to give any more useful info.

Worth trying the Army List for the period when he was likely to be serving (might be listed on half pay in later editions) or the India List. The 1885 Army List doesn't include him as far as I can see so the India route might be more likely.

Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 March 17 23:04 BST (UK) »
Given the name Septimus there may well be many more brothers .....

Mention of the fountain in Kent and Sussex Courier, 9 Oct 1891, which doesn't seem to give any more useful info.

Looking at the baptisms the children were all "done" on the same day - there were 8 children and Septimus was the 7th child.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 March 17 23:09 BST (UK) »
If he was born 1806 that would make him 84 in 1890, but I can't see a death for him then.

Photo of the fountain here http://www.mdfcta.co.uk/details-f/f051.html

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 March 17 23:22 BST (UK) »
The India List for 1855 has a Captain George Scott, appointed to the East India Company's Army in 1825, seniority from 12th April 1849, in the 6th Light Cavalry. There are other G Scott and George Scott with middle name records as well, so would need checking out.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 March 17 00:02 BST (UK) »
Various papers January 1859:

"Jan 6th at Tinerana, county Clare, after a long and painful illness, Lieut Col.George Scott, late 6th Bengal Cavalry, in the fifty-third year of his age. "
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 March 17 00:08 BST (UK) »
Well done, Shaun - so he died a long time before his brother erected the fountain.